Chaplain to take students on spiritual retreat this weekend

Home News Homepage - News Chaplain to take students on spiritual retreat this weekend
College Chaplain Adam Rick and Director of Health Services Brock Lutz will take a group of students to Lutheran Monastery this weekend for a time of spiritual renewal. Pexels

Director of Health and Wellness Brock Lutz and College Chaplain Rev. Adam Rick will be taking a small group of students to the Lutheran Monastery for a weekend of spiritual and physical rest.

“It may seem overwhelming to students to take two days off of homework, but I am often encouraging students to take more seriously rest for their souls,” Father Adam said. “If you don’t take rest, you will burn out quickly.”  

Rick and Lutz deliberately chose a weekend in the semester that isn’t too academically strenuous for students.

The main purpose of the retreat is to spend a couple days in rest and prayer in a Benedictine monastery. The chapel is open to students outside of services for personal meditation, and the garden is open for walks.  

Alumni Griffith Brown of ’17 went with the first group last year and has gone back several times with Lutz and by himself.

“The monastery provides a unique space to spend time with God, with lots of silence in the afternoon and after dinner,” Brown said. “Chanting the Psalms back and forth is a different way of encountering Scripture and Jesus, and it was beneficial because it got me out of my way of thinking.”

This year’s retreat is unique because it will coincide with the Lenten season. Rick explained that the services will be different than past trips.

Participants are asked to donate $30 to the Monastery to help fund their services and replenish their supplies.