Hillsdale College

This past month has been one of lasts.

Last assign­ments, papers, to-do lists. Last late-night gath­erings, con­vo­ca­tions, well wishes.

As grad­u­ation approaches, we, seniors, are moving on. There will be new cities, new jobs, new friends — so much to look forward to as we clutch our degrees and show the real world our best brave faces.

Yet, I find myself holding on tight to the lasts.

It’s not dif­ficult to drag myself up the hill to class each morning. Not anymore. I regret every com­plaint, because now, heading into my final week of classes, I wish I had more. Just a little longer. Just a few more weeks to learn, to grow, to study alongside like-minded people who adore the things that make this life so rich.

Learning is a lifelong venture for which Hillsdale has pre­pared us well. But I will miss these class­rooms, lec­tures, and pro­fessors, who give us every­thing in hopes of planting a seed that will one day flourish. Here, we begin to learn what things are. Out there, we will under­stand why that matters.

I grew up here. In just four years, I have lived and loved alongside people who are now lifelong friends. I am not the same person I was when I walked into Olds dor­mitory, and they know that. I’ve learned much from Hillsdale, but I’ve learned more from my friends. They have shown me what faith­fulness, kindness, and ded­i­cation should look like. I will carry that with me wherever I go. Perhaps we didn’t realize it in the day-to-day mundane, but we are none the same for knowing each other, and we are all better for it.

These next two weeks could be the last time we, seniors, are in the same place with the friends Hillsdale brought us. Cherish the lasts — the last laughs, soulful con­ver­sa­tions, and heart-warming fel­lowship. We will see each other again soon, but we will be dif­ferent, just as we are dif­ferent now than when we first met.

It’s dif­ficult to put into words how much I owe Hillsdale College. In truth, I owe it every­thing. I still remember the sense of awe and wonder I felt walking these halls as a student for the first time, the pride I felt wearing the white and blue. I wish I had not taken that for granted, that I had kept my love for this school in the fore­front of my mind, that I had cher­ished it more when I had the chance. I have that same pride now, but it is a dif­ferent kind. Because now, I under­stand the mission of Hillsdale more fully, and I rec­ognize that it is my duty to further it, even after I walk across that stage. Seniors: This place is our respon­si­bility. No matter where we go, it is ours to keep, ours to bear.

Four years is not enough. But no time here would ever be enough. I envy the under­classmen who have the long col­le­giate road before them. Cherish it, because soon your time will be up. It comes quickly, leaving you with little time to prepare for the loss of a home, this place, Hillsdale. Strive for knowledge, nurture lasting friend­ships, and treasure your lasts, whatever they may be, here beneath banners of white and blue.

Well stated. As I approach my 42nd year in the Auto­motive Industry and soon retirement, I again thank the college for preparing me so well for a career and a life. I owe them so much.

you went to Hillsdale? I think we have estab­lished in the past that you didn’t?

• Camus53

No he did not!

A wannabe in so many regards.

If the man lies about some­thing like this, we can only guess how untrust­worthy he is regarding the opinions he expresses here.

• Jerry Tabac

One thing I have noticed about you two is you rarely comment on stories unless you are going to be critical. Very little pos­itive posts from either of you. In this thread rather than comment on the story you per­sonally attack Mr. Ypsi­lantis for doing exactly that.

I have no idea if Mr. Ypsi­lantis attended Hillsdale College or not, but from what I’ve seen his posts are largely pos­itive and com­pli­mentary. When he is critical it is focused on the story and not other posters. We need more story focused com­ments, not less. And being a HC alumni is not required to comment, only an interest in the College.

You come across as a couple of whiny jerks who cas­tigate other posters who take the time to read the story and respond accord­ingly. Grow up, you’re reflecting badly on the College.

You come across as a second ypsi­lanti account used to create an impression that people support him… or an old man yelling at a cloud. You reflect badly on the college by sup­porting the things that embarrass and hurt the college’s image with everyone but a few wealthy donors. People read this and think we are uncrit­i­cally sup­porting this sad and barren group of policies the school now sup­ports.

• Jerry Tabac

Sorry, I am not a “second Ypsi­lanti account”, I’ve never met him or talked to him. I only know him from his com­ments in this forum. I use my Facebook account to post to this forum and it hasn’t been changed in years.

I don’t like per­sonal attacks in public forums, never have. They’re not sup­posed to be allowed if you read the TOS.

Good thing there havent been any of those.

It’s not needed to reply… but if you lie and state that you are some­thing that you are not in order to bolster an opinion, that can be pointed out.

Hi Jerry Tabac. No need to lock horns with the res­ident Les Enfants Ter­ribles on my account, I blocked most of them when it was apparent they had nothing of value to add to the dis­cussion. I don’t read their non­sense or get offended. But thank you for your con­sid­er­ation.

I value open debate and dis­cussion, but when someone only engages in per­sonal attacks or con­tinual ad hominem attacks on the core prin­ciples and lead­ership of the school, what is the point in wasting your time engaging with that person? Unfor­tu­nately Hillsdale Col­legian has it’s share of intel­lectual ter­mites-time to call Orkin!

you don’t owe them any­thing — you paid quite a bit of money for what you got. I’m glad you are thankful for it, because it cost someone quite a bit (maybe you, I don’t know or presume). The key is to under­stand that it isn’t every­thing. It’s actually quite a small part, overall, 10 years from now you may laugh at what you thought all-con­suming while at Hillsdale. Once you get this, you can actually try to decide what you want to take with you and what you want to be. Don’t be sur­prised if it isn’t Hillsdale based at all. That is ok. At the end of the day your family and the purpose you give your life may include a little bit of what Hillsdale would say is important too. If that is the case, ter­rific. But seri­ously, don’t be one of the people who can’t get over the place, because A) it isn’t what it used to be B) the recent tra­jectory is on a path to actually limit what you can do with the degree C) it won’t love you back unless you debase yourself and limit your own potential.

• Jerry Tabac

What a mean-spirited attack on the school you profess to have attended? If Hillsdale College left such a neg­ative impact on you-assuming you did attend the school-why come to these forums just to bad­mouth it?

You “debase” this forum with your con­tinual, inex­orable and pre­dictable attacks against the current Admin­is­tration and phi­losophy of the school. You need to look into yourself and determine why the con­tinual hatred, it’s really unat­tractive.

Jerry. I write on these forums and agitate for change in real life in order to call attention to the failures of the school and the ways that they have departed from their stated mission.

It’s not hatred, it’s love. I don’t attack the phi­losophy of the school, I attack the way that they have aban­doned the mission and recently decided to take on dif­ferent philoso­phies — and re-writing history to cover their false­hoods.

I did attend Hillsdale — did you? Your uncon­sidered support of the school is more unat­tractive because it is sim­plistic and wrong.