Bats power Chargers to four-game sweep

Home Big Grid - Home Bats power Chargers to four-game sweep
Bats power Chargers to four-game sweep
Sophomores Chris Stewart (38) and Jake Hoover (7) greet sophomore Dante Toppi (14) after a home run in a game earlier this season. (Photo: Trish Verburgge | Courtesy)

The Hillsdale College Chargers swept Ohio Valley University in four games over the weekend, outscoring the Fighting Scots 67-21 in the four contests. The Chargers put 21 runs on the board in both games of Saturday’s doubleheader, a new single-game season high.

With the four wins, Hillsdale moves above .500 in the G-MAC, and is now 11-9 against conference opponents. The Chargers’ overall record still sits below .500 at 16-19. Hillsdale has now won six in a row and is 8-2 at home this season.

Junior shortstop Jake Hoover was named the G-MAC Player of the Week for his performance in the series. He collected three hits in each of the four games, and went 12 for 18 at the plate (a .667 batting average) with four doubles, three home runs, and seven runs batted in from the leadoff spot.

Friday, April 12 (Game 1): Hillsdale 8, Ohio Valley 6

In the only close contest of the series, the Chargers built a 6-1 lead by the end of the fifth inning, but Ohio Valley crept back in with a three-run sixth inning and another run in the top of the seventh to cut the deficit to 6-5.

But in the bottom of the seventh, junior right fielder Dante Toppi swatted a two-run home run to extend Hillsdale’s lead, and Hoover added a solo shot in the next inning for good measure.

Sophomore pitcher David Toth recorded the final five outs for Hillsdale to earn his second save of the year. Senior pitcher Jonathan Lapshan earned the win, pitching 7 1/3 strong innings. He allowed five runs, four of which were earned, and struck out a season-high nine batters.

Although the Chargers scored eight runs and collected 13 hits, their lineup struck out 12 times in the narrow win.

Friday, April 12 (Game 2): Hillsdale 17, Ohio Valley 5 (7 innings)

The Chargers got out to a quick start in game two, scoring six runs in the bottom of the first inning to open up a lead that would only become larger. Hoover and sophomore designated hitter James Krick hit home runs in the first inning. Krick finished the game 4 for 4 with a pair of home runs (his second came in the second inning) and three RBI.

Hillsdale scored in each of the first five innings, and hung a seven-spot on the scoreboard in the fifth inning. Senior second baseman Kevin Monson’s grand slam punctuated the inning, and the contest ended after seven frames.

Senior first baseman Steven Ring and senior third baseman Colin Boerst also added home runs in the victory. The Chargers’ lineup collected 22 hits, and all 17 runs were driven in by RBI.

Junior pitcher Chris Stewart held Ohio Valley to three runs on five hits in six innings, earning his first win of the year. He struck out eight.

Saturday, April 13 (Game 1): Hillsdale 21, Ohio Valley 6 (7 innings)

After scoring two runs in the bottom of the first inning to take another early lead, the Chargers faced a brief 3-2 deficit entering the bottom of the third inning. But Hillsdale scored eight runs in the frame, thanks to a solo shot hit by Krick, and a pair of three-run blasts hit by senior first baseman Jacob DePillo and Ring.

The Chargers added three runs in the fourth, six in the fifth, and two in the sixth. After six innings, Hillsdale’s lineup had collected 17 hits, scored 21 runs, and drawn 12 walks. The game ended after seven innings.

Freshman pitcher Cody Kanclerz earned the win in relief, pitching the final 3 2/3 innings for Hillsdale. He allowed just one run.

Saturday, April 13 (Game 2): Hillsdale 21, Ohio Valley 4

In the final game of the series, the Chargers’ unforgiving lineup put together its most impressive inning yet, ambushing Ohio Valley for 14 runs in the bottom of the first inning.

Hillsdale sent 17 batters to the plate in the frame, and after Hoover hit his second leadoff home run of the series, Toppi stole the show. He hit a pair of three-run home runs in the inning, and was already 2 for 2 with six RBI by the time the Fighting Scots recorded their second out of the game.

The Chargers hung crooked numbers in the fourth, sixth, and seventh innings, and for the second game in a row, scored 21 runs, this time in a full nine-inning affair.

Freshman pitcher Marc Bergeron earned the win in relief, hurling five innings of scoreless, one-hit ball. He struck out six while earning his first collegiate victory.

Up Next

The Chargers travel to Canton, Ohio, this weekend for a four-game series against Walsh University. Hillsdale (16-19, 11-9 G-MAC) will play doubleheaders on Thursday and Saturday in the first meeting with the Cavaliers (18-16, 11-7) this season.

After the series, 10 games remain on the Chargers’ regular-season schedule before the G-MAC Tournament. The tournament will be in Mason, Ohio, from May 8-11. Hillsdale won the 2018 G-MAC Tournament, but currently sits in sixth place in the G-MAC standings.