Left to Right: Anthony LaMacchia, Thomas Rodgers, and Brandon Korhonen. Austin Gergens | Col­legian

The Hillsdale College shotgun team spent spring break preparing for the upcoming ACUI com­pe­tition next week in San Antonio, Texas. The Chargers have the oppor­tunity to win their sixth con­sec­utive Division III Cham­pi­onship.

Hillsdale hosted the Charger Spring Invi­ta­tional on March 16, com­peting against Grace College. Sophomore Barrett Moore shot 193 clays of 200; the highest score overall. Junior Lucas Pier­accini and sophomore Kylar Kuzio tied, trailing Moore’s score by only one clay.  

The pre­vious weekend was a similar expe­rience for the team as they com­peted at the Lin­denwood Invi­ta­tional in St. Louis, Mis­souri. After a gru­eling nine-hour bus ride, the team shot in some of the worst con­di­tions of the season.  

Moore and senior Amanda Klug said they couldn’t decide if it was worse to shoot with lightning delays on Sat­urday or be buf­feted by 30 – 40 mph winds at night.

“We shot skeet on Sat­urday in two to six inches of water and we had several 20-minute lighting delays,” freshman Anthony LaMacchia said.

The team visited the Island Lake Shooting Range in Metro Detroit to receive coaching from Pat Lieske. Lieske was a National Sporting Clays Asso­ci­ation champion in 2014 and is the father of former shotgun team member Drew Lieske, who grad­uated from Hillsdale in 2018.

“He’s really good at fine-tuning the little things,” LaMacchia said.