Katy Price was sworn in as City Clerk at Mon­day’s Hillsdale City Council meeting. Collegian|Sutton Dun­woodie

Katy Price was sworn in as the new city clerk at the Hillsdale City Council Meeting on Monday after appointment to the position by Mayor Adam Stockford and the council.

Price has been working for the City as interim city clerk since November, when former City Clerk Stephen French resigned.

“I’m looking forward to just doing the job to the best of my ability,” Price said in an interview with The Col­legian.

Since the position was vacant in November, 160 appli­ca­tions were received for the position. Can­di­dates were nar­rowed down by Stockford and City Manager David Mackie and the top two can­di­dates were inter­viewed in a public meeting Feb. 26. After the inter­views, Stockford met with council members indi­vid­ually to discuss who they would like to select for the position.

They met a con­sensus with Price.

Ward 3 Council member Bruce Sharp said at the council meeting that both can­di­dates were very qual­ified.

“It came down to who we were com­fortable with, and that was it, because they were both very qual­ified,” he said. “It was a hard choice at times, but I’m com­fortable with the one we have, right at this time.”

A lifelong res­ident of Hillsdale, Price started working for the City about seven years ago in the clerk’s office as an assistant. After five years, she moved into the assessing office, where she worked to receive her Michigan Cer­tificate of Assessing Tech­ni­cians cer­ti­fi­cation.

With elec­tions coming up this year, Price said that ensuring elec­tions are con­ducted to the best of her ability is a top pri­ority.

“My main focus will be doing due dili­gence and making sure that elec­tions are running smoothly and without hiccups,” she said.

In addition, Price said the imple­men­tation of Propo­sition 3, a new series of voting laws which passed in the State of Michigan this past November, will be a main focus.

Stockford said that Price’s appointment differs from years past due to the fact that it is “essen­tially a pro­motion in the form of an appointment,” he said.

“Katy’s been a part of the City of Hillsdale team for as long as I’ve been part of the elected gov­ernment,” Stockford said in an email. “She’s a familiar face in the front office for res­i­dents and she’s cer­tified in elec­tions, so she can step into the position with very little tran­sition. We’re con­fident she’s going to be a good addition to the city’s lead­ership.”

At Monday’s meeting, council dis­cussed how news of Price’s appointment was leaked via her per­sonal Facebook page prior to the mayor’s announcement, which even­tually found itself on the radio. Stockford said that this was a breach of the city’s social media policy.

“A huge aspect of the job now is going to be public in the way that it wasn’t before and it’s going to be political in a way it wasn’t before,” he said.

Price apol­o­gized pub­licly for breaking the policy.

Ward 4 Council Member Matthew Bell con­grat­u­lated Price on her appointment at Monday’s meeting.

“Just remember you don’t work for the city manager, you don’t work for the city council, you work for the people,” he said. “You are answerable to people and rep­re­sen­ta­tives, as we found out with our last city clerk. In remem­bering the respon­si­bility that you have, it’s pretty important. People are giving up their tax dollars in order to pay salaries and pay us to come to these meetings and so, it’s a pretty important position and as there is a lot of trust that goes into that.”