Dear Editor,

In the Feb. 21 edition of the Col­legian, Mr. Erik Halvorson wrote both a timely and inter­esting article about the College Park Town­houses. He argued Hillsdale needs more cost-effective housing, like the 42 Union apartment buildings. But Mr. Halvorson missed a few important points that readers should con­sider.

First, the College Park Town­houses are pri­vately owned with no financial risk to the college. They were built by friends and alumni, and thus, several are owned by friends and alumni. Three of the six town­house units have private first floor accom­mo­da­tions. Tyler Horning ‘06 and myself ‘86 use these for per­sonal use. We also share these with our friends and former class­mates as well as college staff vis­iting from the Wash­ington D.C. campus. It is a great gath­ering place for home­coming and Parents Weekend, etc.

The 42 Union building was a ren­o­vation that used gov­ernment sub­sidies. The town­houses, on the other hand, were a new con­struction built with private capital. This makes a dif­ference in terms of cost.

Mr. Halvorson claimed that few stu­dents expressed interest in the College Park Town­houses because of the price tag. But the town­houses haven’t been mar­keted yet. In fact, this spring is the first time they’ll be mar­keted, since the deadline for off-campus housing approval passed before they were available for rent last school year. Therefore, the pop­u­larity of the town­houses is yet to be known.

Choice is a good thing, and the College Park Town­houses provide just that. They offer stu­dents an upscale living alter­native with private bed­rooms, bath­rooms, sleek kitchens, and inviting hang-out spaces, with urban loft fur­nishings. This kind of housing is hugely popular across the country, and it makes a great addition to Hillsdale’s com­munity.

With that said, Hillsdale College has done a fab­ulous job updating the dorms and pro­viding stu­dents with nice, cost-effective housing. This is an important investment and the town­houses are merely an extension of this trend.

With this con­sidered, I would rec­ommend that stu­dents decide for them­selves and schedule a tour at www.hillsdalecollegepark.com.
The deter­mi­nation for more of this kind of investment in Hillsdale College student-living is directly dependent upon how stu­dents embrace College Park Town­houses. Private investment versus sub­si­dization, upscale versus cheap, aes­thet­i­cally beau­tiful versus ordinary.

The good news is in the free market, the student decides, not the news­paper.

is your brother the one who wrote the absolute flace plant of an article trying to “out” the cincinnati enquirer? I would hope not if I were you.