The GOAL Program and the Omicron Delta Kappa lead­ership hon­orary are teaming up to host the first Day of Service, an oppor­tunity for stu­dents to serve the larger Hillsdale com­munity. Nolan Ryan | Col­legian

Hillsdale College’s GOAL Program and Omicron Delta Kappa, the campus lead­ership hon­orary, are teaming up to hold the college’s first-ever Day of Service on April 6. The event is a campus-wide effort in which stu­dents from all sectors of campus are encouraged to come together to give back to the com­munity through a variety of projects.   

“This is the first time we’ve done a com­munity event of this scale,” said Lucile Townley, GOAL vol­unteer ser­vices director and ODK member.

Last year, GOAL hosted a meal-packing event that sent almost 21,000 meals to Haiti. This time, however, the orga­ni­zation wanted its phil­an­thropic project to have a more local focus.  

“While that event was amazing, and I loved how it brought campus together, I felt a little weird about it because we have so much need in our own com­munity, and all that amazing effort went overseas,” Townley said. “The idea is to alternate between inter­na­tional and local projects.”

The project has been in the works since October when ODK member and GOAL program leader Rosemary Pynes was inspired by a similar service event at the Uni­versity of Nebraska-Lincoln where several of her friends attend. She said she hopes the Day of Service will provide an oppor­tunity for stu­dents to give back to the town of Hillsdale and feel con­nected to it.    

“It’s a com­munity we can actually invest in,” Pynes said, “not just a place to live for four years.”    

Townley said the object of Day of Service is twofold: meet physical needs through service projects, and build a rela­tionship with the greater Hillsdale com­munity. So far, 17 teams from nearly every dorm, Greek house, and student group, have signed up to serve on campus. Projects range from cleaning up Baw Beese Trail to vis­iting with nursing home res­i­dents.

“This effort is huge,” said ODK Pres­ident Ross Hatley. “Prac­ti­cally every orga­ni­zation on campus is in some way involved in the planning, recruitment, or exe­cution of this event. It’s really incredible to see all of campus coming together to serve.”

Members of GOAL and ODK will be sitting at a table in the union all week, and Hatley hopes stu­dents will sign up with the team they most identify with — or get a group of friends together and create their own.

“This is a very broad-based endeavor, and there is room and a need for people to come out,” he said. “This isn’t just a normal vol­unteer event. This is some­thing extra­or­dinary.”