A pam­phlet for a lecture that Early Preg­nancy Loss Asso­ci­ation will host titled: “Hope Blooms: A Mis­car­riage edu­cation event.”

Early Preg­nancy Loss Asso­ci­ation will host its first com­munity lecture titled “Hope Blooms: A Mis­car­riage edu­cation event” fea­turing Nancy Kingma, a licensed nurse and ther­apist at 7 p.m. March 7 at the Hillsdale Orthodox Pres­by­terian Church.

“Nancy Kingma will be talking about mis­car­riage, grief, and the effects it has on parents — both expe­ri­encing loss and grieving,” said Emily Car­rington, pres­ident of EPLA.

As a nurse and coun­selor, Kingma will bring her knowledge and expe­rience to best guide fam­ilies going through loss, but also provide resources for those who walk with those who might be directly affected.

“The event is for everyone, if they’ve expe­ri­enced loss or not,” Car­rington said.

Car­rington said that early preg­nancy loss is common among women, and that in recent years, the con­ver­sation has opened up for fixing the social con­ver­sation sur­rounding loss.

“It’s very likely that a woman has had a loss or will have a loss,” she said. “It is important that everyone has an under­standing of what this loss might entail. Many feel unequipped.”

After starting with edu­ca­tional resource folders to bring awareness about early preg­nancy loss in 2016, EPLA has been working to expand their out­reach pro­grams — from care kits and now with com­munity lec­tures.

“We see this meeting a lot of needs in the com­munity,” Car­rington said. “It pro­vides edu­cation and resources fol­lowing loss, and also raises awareness by talking about this in a serious way.”

Car­rington said the event is open to the public and she encourages all to attend.