During Spring Break, stu­dents have a chance to win prizes through the Hillsdale College Bookstore’s “Take Your Bag” com­pe­tition. External Affairs

Take a bag  — and some photos — on Spring Break. During the 10 days off from school, stu­dents have a chance to win prizes through the Hillsdale College Bookstore’s “Take Your Bag” com­pe­tition.

While the book­store has put on the com­pe­tition more than once in past years, this is the first time it has been done two years in a row.

For a chance to win a laptop traveler bag, a wireless speaker, or wireless stereo speakers, stu­dents can take photos of a book­store shopping bag at their spring-break des­ti­nation. Angie Berry, trade book coor­di­nator at the book­store, said stu­dents in past com­pe­ti­tions have gotten cre­ative with their photos, like filling their bag with sand at the beach and taking a photo while a wave washed over the bag.

“It doesn’t have to be any­where fancy,” Berry said. “One person took it to the opera and took a picture of the bag on a ledge with the red curtain in the back­ground.”

One student took the bag skiing, Berry said, and yet another held it while surfing.

“The idea is be cre­ative and do some­thing fun with it,” she said.

The judges this year are Asso­ciate Dean of Men Jeffrey Rogers, Pro­fessor of Art Barbara Bushey, and Pro­fessor of History Tom Connor. Berry said they try to involve dif­ferent faculty every time they do the com­pe­tition.

“It’s kind of a com­munity thing,” she said. “Our overall goal is to help the stu­dents and support them. This is a way to work together.”

“On Wednesday or Thursday, after you have an oppor­tunity to rest, go some­where inter­esting, and take a bag, do some­thing inter­esting with it, and take a photo. People take photos all the time.” Bushey said, and added that the book­store pro­vides any mate­rials she requests.

On returning from Spring Break, stu­dents can bring a printed copy to the book­store or send the photo in an email to aberry@hillsdale.edu. Photos must be sub­mitted by March 29.  The entry must include the photographer’s name, the location and date that the photo was taken, and the names of anyone included in the picture, according to a brochure pro­vided by the book­store. The pic­tures do not need to include a person.

While there are prizes for first, second, and third place, Berry said she will display all sub­mitted photos in the book­store. The winners will be announced on April 1.