Andrew Fink ’06 recently moved back to Hillsdale to open a satellite office of his family’s law practice. Regan Meyer | Col­legian

Andrew Fink ‘06 grad­uated from Hillsdale College 13 years ago, but echoes of his time at the ’Dale dec­orate his office: The G.K. Chesterton bust on the coffee table, the water­color of Central Hall on the con­ference room wall. Fink’s alma mater won’t leave him.

Fink is one of the few alumni who have come back to Hillsdale to work in jobs uncon­nected with the college. Fink used his Hillsdale degree in pol­itics to take six months to work on Rep. Tim Walberg’s cam­paign, and then another six months to play guitar in the Ann Arbor music scene before enrolling at Uni­versity of Michigan law school.

“I’m not sure if I always wanted to be a lawyer. I always figured that I would,” Fink said. “It’s kind of the family business. Even though we don’t all work at the same firm, it’s just sort of the default setting for the Fink boys.”

In early 2011, he began active duty in the U.S. Marines fol­lowing his grad­u­ation from law school in 2010. Upon coming off active duty in 2014, he joined Fink and Fink Attorneys and Coun­selors, working with his father, cousin, and uncle. After about three years in the Ann Arbor area, Fink moved his family from Ypsi­lanti to the Hillsdale area. He estab­lished a satellite office of his family’s law practice, Fink and Fink.

“I thought that when we got here we’d kind of have to say no to evenings on campus for events and talks, or that we’d get addicted going to the Sage for con­certs,” Fink said. “That hasn’t hap­pened. We didn’t get less busy here, so we don’t actually have that much more time. When we lived in Ypsi, we were on campus once or twice a semester. It’s probably one or two more times a semester now.”

Fink remembers his time at Hillsdale fondly. Just enough time has passed for campus culture to seem dif­ferent, but Fink still rec­og­nizes the same core values in Hillsdale.

“It seems like it’s a never-ending set of inter­locked friend groups,” Fink said. “There was never a shortage of someone to have a pleasant con­ver­sation with. That’s in much shorter supply out in the real world than it was as a Hillsdale student. Finding a good con­ver­sation was so easy here.”

While Fink had many good con­ver­sa­tions with his fellow stu­dents at Hillsdale, he also con­nected with many of his pro­fessors. Fink and Pro­fessor of the­ology Nathan Schlueter became friends during Fink’s time as a student.

“We’ve stayed really per­sonally close and I’ve always appre­ciated them as a couple,” Fink said. “The best analogy is an older brother for me and an older sister for Lauren, because they’re halfway between us and our parents.”

“I think Andrew and I both have some­thing of a cho­leric tem­perament. Or we’re just German,” Schlueter said. “In any case, we also quickly dis­covered lot of common interests, in ideas, music — he’s a very tal­ented musician with a great taste in music — pol­itics, par­enting, faith, etc.”

Schlueter also taught Fink’s wife Lauren while she was a student at Hillsdale. Schlueter and his wife are now god­parents to Fink’s daughter, Evan­geline.

“It was a delight to watch their rela­tionship begin and grow, and to mentor them a bit,” Schlueter said. “Those two have a fun mar­riage of dif­fer­ences that is a source of inspi­ration and humor to those who know them.”

Fink himself serves as a sort of mentor as part of the Career Advising Com­mittee for the Hillsdale College Alumni Asso­ci­ation Board, working with Career Ser­vices.

“Andrew capably rep­re­sents the views and interests of alumni from the early 2000s,” Director of the Alumni Asso­ci­ation Board Grigor Hasted said in an email. “His back­ground as an attorney makes him a par­tic­u­larly valuable resource for pre-law stu­dents in our men­toring program. He takes seri­ously his respon­si­bil­ities to the board and he is a par­tic­u­larly artic­ulate, influ­ential, and well-respected con­tributor to board business.”

As a member of the Career Advising Com­mittee, Fink has seen many stu­dents begin their pro­fes­sional careers. He says that while most stu­dents are well-liked by their employers, the com­mittee hears one common crit­icism of Hillsdale grads.

“In some cases, the crit­icism I hear is that you’re spending too much time on ideas and not enough time emp­tying the trash,” he said. “I would never want to dis­courage Hillsdale kids from being the broad-minded and good-hearted people that they are. But embracing getting your fin­ger­nails dirty is part of being a suc­cessful worker.”