Com­plaints from stu­dents on a small campus are inevitable, but there’s a char­i­table way to resolve them, and taking to social media isn’t it.

Hillsdale’s many social groups might butt heads at times, albeit in a light-hearted way. Last week, several stu­dents took to Twitter to voice snarky opinions about various com­mu­nities on campus. The com­ments were sar­castic and it’s unlikely hard feelings fol­lowed the exchange, but as Hillsdale stu­dents, we should hold our­selves to a higher standard.

Twitter isn’t the only bat­tle­ground. The Student Activ­ities Board faces a wave of crit­icism after each event it puts on. The com­plaints range from food choices to dec­o­ra­tions to weather. Yes, weather. But instead of sub­mitting sug­ges­tions and rec­om­men­da­tions to surveys SAB pro­vides after events, Hillsdale stu­dents have a habit of com­plaining behind closed doors, and in some cases, airing their griev­ances on social media. SAB encourages feedback — why not take it to them directly?

Con­frontation isn’t usually seen as a good thing. But it can, in fact, help resolve ten­sions if done in a kind way. Sub­tweeting fellow stu­dents or whis­pering about dif­ferent groups does not foster an envi­ronment worthy of Hillsdale’s mission. It might seem trivial — after all, we’re just having fun, right? — but take the time to think about how your words and actions reflect not just on you, but on the student body at large. It matters.

what twitter were they on? I am banned by @hillsdale and @hillsdaleimprimis. Why? I don’t know. I ask basic ques­tions based on the daily non­sense they post. No swearing. No demeaning lan­guage. I think that people around Hillsdale are a little too snowflaky since they sup­posedly became chris­tians in 2015. Man up, throw a little snark in return.

• George Gibbs

I admit that when I was a student I used to snarkily refer to SAB as “SOB”, I think because, time and time again, their backroom deci­sions — funded with our fees — didn’t seem based on general student input but on gim­micks and whims. Perhaps this has changed.
    But I never vented on Facebook or Twitter to such an effect. In fact, social media is def­i­nitely some­thing that respon­sible people (espe­cially Hillsdale tra­di­tion­alists) should back away from, whether using it to “com­plain” or not.