Com­plaints from stu­dents on a small campus are inevitable, but there’s a char­i­table way to resolve them, and taking to social media isn’t it.

Hillsdale’s many social groups might butt heads at times, albeit in a light-hearted way. Last week, several stu­dents took to Twitter to voice snarky opinions about various com­mu­nities on campus. The com­ments were sar­castic and it’s unlikely hard feelings fol­lowed the exchange, but as Hillsdale stu­dents, we should hold our­selves to a higher standard.

Twitter isn’t the only bat­tle­ground. The Student Activ­ities Board faces a wave of crit­icism after each event it puts on. The com­plaints range from food choices to dec­o­ra­tions to weather. Yes, weather. But instead of sub­mitting sug­ges­tions and rec­om­men­da­tions to surveys SAB pro­vides after events, Hillsdale stu­dents have a habit of com­plaining behind closed doors, and in some cases, airing their griev­ances on social media. SAB encourages feedback — why not take it to them directly?

Con­frontation isn’t usually seen as a good thing. But it can, in fact, help resolve ten­sions if done in a kind way. Sub­tweeting fellow stu­dents or whis­pering about dif­ferent groups does not foster an envi­ronment worthy of Hillsdale’s mission. It might seem trivial — after all, we’re just having fun, right? — but take the time to think about how your words and actions reflect not just on you, but on the student body at large. It matters.