If you’ve ever gone to a church in Hillsdale, you know the drill. When the col­lection is taken up, the usher glances down the row of college stu­dents sitting side by side, dili­gently studying their hands and avoiding eye contact. After a quick look, he probably passes on to the next row without even wasting the time to pass the basket.

“Shoot I forgot to bring cash,” the excuse goes. “Also I have no money and I’m going to Checker Records after this.”

We’ve all done it. But stu­dents need to support the com­munity churches that we profit from so much.

This week, as the usher got closer to my row, I looked down at what I was wearing and quickly added up how much I had spent on my clothes. I’d like to think of myself as pretty frugal, but even so I was shocked at the amount I came up with, and ashamed at how many times I’ve jus­tified my Sunday morning decision to leave my wallet safely at home. When the moment comes to give money away instead of spending it on myself, I sud­denly become a strict and respon­sible bud­geter.

Most of us give time and talent to a good cause, whether that’s vol­un­teering, donating blood, leading a Bible study, or any number of other ways stu­dents serve. These are worthy and nec­essary, and for some people truly the best or only way they can give back. But I think many stu­dents would admit that mid­night McDonald’s runs often take pri­ority over giving a couple of dollars to the church.

In Matthew 6:21, Christ tells us, “For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.” We learn to pri­or­itize very well at Hillsdale when it comes to time and activ­ities, but do we have ordered pri­or­ities when it comes to spending money? If it is true that where we give our treasure is a reflection of our hearts, we shouldn’t let the col­lection basket pass us by, Sunday after Sunday.

We’re poor but not that poor. It’s not really that hard to get cash back at Kroger so you have it on Sunday morning. Hey, maybe your church would even get a Venmo. Skip the latte and give a few dollars to a church or a charity. I doubt anyone will end up homeless on the street because of it.

Clara Fishlock is a senior studying History and French.

stu­dents — you don’t need to give any church your money. You are free indi­viduals going to a school that used to be all about edu­cating for liberty. Exercise your freedom to give — or not.