Strong showing lands second place at Wide Track Classic

Home Charger Track and Field Strong showing lands second place at Wide Track Classic
Ben Raffin clears the pole during the pole vault at the Conference Crossover earlier this season. (Scott Lowery | Collegian)

With the G-MAC Indoor Championships just three weeks away, the Hillsdale College Chargers seem to be finding their stride after a strong performance in last week’s Wide Track Classic. The Chargers competed well at home over the weekend against a field that included representatives from three of the nation’s top 10 teams. Third-ranked Tiffin University took first at the meet with 172 points, while Hillsdale took second with 85.

Sophomore Ryan Thomsen led the charge by finishing first in the heptathlon, one of the sport’s most difficult tests of overall athleticism. Thomsen won the 1000 meter run and took second in both the high jump and shot put on his way to victory. His score of 4927 points comfortably passed the Division II provisional mark and placed him in prime position to qualify for the national meet.

The Chargers also saw a career day in the heptathlon from freshman John Baldwin. Baldwin won the 60 meter dash and 60 meter hurdles en route to a second place finish with 4743 points, a score high enough to achieve a provisional mark.

On the track, Hillsdale had a strong showing in the shorter sprint events. Junior Ian Brown took third in the 60 meter hurdles with a time of 8.69 seconds. In the 60 meter dash, freshman Jacob Schmidt qualified for the finals in a deep and competitive field of 65 runners, finishing fourth with a time of 6.99 seconds.

Schmidt also stepped up in the 200 meter dash, where he finished fifth out of a field of 64 competitors with a time of 22.68 seconds.

In the 800 meter run, sophomore Jack Shelley surged from the middle of the pack on the last lap to take third, finishing a half second off the lead with a time of 1:57.66. His teammate, freshman Mark Miller, finished fourth with a time of 1:57.72.

Shelley joined sophomore Adam Wade, junior Joseph Humes, and senior Levi Wyse in the distance medley relay. The Chargers finished the relay in 10:15.63, just two seconds off the provisional mark.

Hillsdale also continued its recent dominance in the 3000 meter run. This time, it was sophomore Morgan Morrison who took the top spot, finishing with a time of 9:11.87.

In the pole vault, freshman Ben Raffin set yet another personal best by clearing a height of 4.87 meters. With this jump, Raffin finished second at the meet and achieved a provisional mark just four meets into his collegiate career.

The Chargers are heading back to Allendale, Michigan this weekend for the GVSU Big Meet. Events begin Friday in Grand Valley State University’s Kelly Family Sports Center at 10 a.m.