Staff Profiles: Jordyn Pair, Associate Editor

Home Study Break Staff Profiles: Jordyn Pair, Associate Editor
Senior Jordyn Pair is the Collegian Associate Editor. (Courtesy)

A lover of stories, senior Jordyn Pair has told many as a reporter for the Hillsdale College Collegian. But this past summer, the new Collegian associate editor’s byline appeared in the Tennessean, a Nashville-based paper part of the USA Today network, and her work  let her tell many interesting stories.

From writing about trash to covering Nashville’s Pride Parade, Pair’s workload varied. She sometimes worked mornings, sometimes nights. And while her normal days were subdued, she frequently found herself on the front lines of the city’s action.

“I have really enjoyed covering some of the protests in Nashville. I’ve been following in the Poor People’s Campaign and it’s been interesting,” Pair said.

In addition to covering the Poor People’s Campaign, she wrote about a protest against  Immigration and Customs Enforcement at the end of June, both of which she found were much different from the Pride Parade she covered earlier in June.

“Protests are generally more grueling than a festival, because everyone is a little confrontational and amped up. They’re expecting something to happen,” Pair said.

During the Pride Parade, she spent the day running the Tennessean’s Instagram account.

“It’s a really fun experience because it’s high-energy and exciting, which is why people like to go,” Pair said. “I really got to look around and involve myself and pick out good pictures because I didn’t have to talk to anyone.”

These experiences were the highlight of her summer, providing excitement at almost every turn, but even in the office found success and excitement. Her coverage of a car accident in Nashville was picked up by Yahoo! News and was the number one story of the day.

For the 21-year-old, journalism was the best way to pursue her ever-present passion for stories. And after first getting involved with it in high school, Pair hasn’t looked back and hopes to make journalism her career.

“I absolutely want to do journalism. I can’t imagine doing anything else,” Pair said.

Pair wrote in her personal blog about life in Nashville. One story focused on what it was like to live alone.

“Being alone in a city has given me a chance to try new things uninhibited,” Pair wrote.

Living alone for the first time, Pair used the time to learn to cook. Even in this regard, she came across something unexpected: her taste for stir-fried mushrooms.