Noah Rothman, author of “Unjust: Social Justice and the Unmaking of America,” gave a lecture on campus this week con­cerning the problems with the social justice movement and how it affects the nation. LinkedIn

Hillsdale College wel­comed Noah Rothman to campus on Feb. 19 to speak to stu­dents about his new book, “Unjust: Social Justice War­riors and the Unmaking of America.”

Rothman is the asso­ciate editor at Com­mentary mag­azine and an NBC/MSNBC con­tributor. Rothman has risen to promi­nence recently as a fre­quent guest on shows such as Morning Joe where he has clashed with pro­gressive com­men­tators and guests.

After being intro­duced by senior Shadrach Strehle, Rothman gave an overview of social justice and how it has devolved over the course of the last few years.

“On a basic level, social justice is an idea that is inher­ently American. It has noble origins,” Rothman said. “Modern social justice is identity pol­itics. It is anti­thetical to the American ideal.”

Rothman argued that the modern idea of social justice has resulted in reverse dis­crim­i­nation and resulted in the reemer­gence of numerous regressive ideas.

“Humans are sus­cep­tible to biases,” Rothman said. “But social justice advo­cates attempt to rec­oncile biases with dis­crim­i­nation. Modern social justice attempts to fight prej­udice with more prej­udice.”

Rothman argued that the current social justice movement has led to the reemer­gence of racial and reli­gious seg­re­gation in the United States, safe spaces as one example.

“Social justice activists on the left may be sur­prised that most white suprema­cists share their views on issues of sep­a­ratism,” Rothman said.

Rothman ana­lyzed the legal and political ram­i­fi­ca­tions of the modern social justice movement. Addressing the con­tro­versy of the Kavanaugh hearings, Rothman argued that Kavanaugh was dubbed guilty almost imme­di­ately upon being accused as a result of him being a white male.

“People were judging Brett Kavanaugh as an avatar for hor­rible things that have hap­pened to them in the past,” Rothman said.

Rothman crit­i­cized the aban­donment of due process on sexual assault and harassment on college campus. Rothman claimed that uni­ver­sities are rushing to judgment on accu­sa­tions of sexual harassment or assault. He asserted that ver­dicts from college cam­puses, when reviewed in actual courts, repeatedly vio­lated the legal rights of the accused.

The speech con­cluded with a Q&A session with stu­dents. One student asked how Hillsdale stu­dents should nav­igate and face the new era of social justice war­riors.

“It’s dif­ficult to say how to nav­igate that world as it is so new,” Rothman answered. “In terms of going out and com­bating this phe­nomenon, hope­fully the ideas will help isolate and stig­matize the phi­losophy. These ideas are rooted in noble and just philoso­phies and are attractive to good people. One must approach these ideas not as bad ideas but dan­gerous ideas.”