Noah Rothman, author of “Unjust: Social Justice and the Unmaking of America,” gave a lecture on campus this week con­cerning the problems with the social justice movement and how it affects the nation. LinkedIn

Hillsdale College wel­comed Noah Rothman to campus on Feb. 19 to speak to stu­dents about his new book, “Unjust: Social Justice War­riors and the Unmaking of America.”

Rothman is the asso­ciate editor at Com­mentary mag­azine and an NBC/MSNBC con­tributor. Rothman has risen to promi­nence recently as a fre­quent guest on shows such as Morning Joe where he has clashed with pro­gressive com­men­tators and guests.

After being intro­duced by senior Shadrach Strehle, Rothman gave an overview of social justice and how it has devolved over the course of the last few years.

“On a basic level, social justice is an idea that is inher­ently American. It has noble origins,” Rothman said. “Modern social justice is identity pol­itics. It is anti­thetical to the American ideal.”

Rothman argued that the modern idea of social justice has resulted in reverse dis­crim­i­nation and resulted in the reemer­gence of numerous regressive ideas.

“Humans are sus­cep­tible to biases,” Rothman said. “But social justice advo­cates attempt to rec­oncile biases with dis­crim­i­nation. Modern social justice attempts to fight prej­udice with more prej­udice.”

Rothman argued that the current social justice movement has led to the reemer­gence of racial and reli­gious seg­re­gation in the United States, safe spaces as one example.

“Social justice activists on the left may be sur­prised that most white suprema­cists share their views on issues of sep­a­ratism,” Rothman said.

Rothman ana­lyzed the legal and political ram­i­fi­ca­tions of the modern social justice movement. Addressing the con­tro­versy of the Kavanaugh hearings, Rothman argued that Kavanaugh was dubbed guilty almost imme­di­ately upon being accused as a result of him being a white male.

“People were judging Brett Kavanaugh as an avatar for hor­rible things that have hap­pened to them in the past,” Rothman said.

Rothman crit­i­cized the aban­donment of due process on sexual assault and harassment on college campus. Rothman claimed that uni­ver­sities are rushing to judgment on accu­sa­tions of sexual harassment or assault. He asserted that ver­dicts from college cam­puses, when reviewed in actual courts, repeatedly vio­lated the legal rights of the accused.

The speech con­cluded with a Q&A session with stu­dents. One student asked how Hillsdale stu­dents should nav­igate and face the new era of social justice war­riors.

“It’s dif­ficult to say how to nav­igate that world as it is so new,” Rothman answered. “In terms of going out and com­batting this phe­nomenon, hope­fully the ideas will help isolate and stig­matize the phi­losophy. These ideas are rooted in noble and just philoso­phies and are attractive to good people. One must approach these ideas not as bad ideas but dan­gerous ideas.”

people like me judged brett kavanaugh because 1) he didn’t seem to under­stand the gravitas of the sit­u­ation 2) he didn’t seem to under­stand the victim’s pov at all, even while being firm that he did not commit the act he was accused of (basic empathy) 3) he lied about the stupid stuff that was in his yearbook. He knows that a devil’s threesome isn’t a drinking game… .he lied, under oath, and about some­thing totally incon­se­quential.

stop playing the “poor me I’m a white man card”. It’s a stupid response to a stupid game that snowflakes play. Everyone’s lives matter. The only reason anyone has had reason to claim oth­erwise was because this country takes on a high standard for our­selves that lately we have been missing.

We (Amer­icans) can do better than this. Hillsdale can def­i­nitely do better than this clown.