The Red Cross blood drive held this week missed its goal by 17 donors due to sickness and other health reasons. Wiki­media Commons

The Com­munity Health Goal program, with the help of the Nied­feldt Res­i­dence and the Delta Sigma Phi fra­ternity, part­nered with the Red Cross in the Spring 2019 blood drive on Feb. 18 in the Grewcock Student Union.

To date, Hillsdale College has hosted 32 blood drives and col­lected 2743 units of blood. The crew hoped to reach the semester goal of 105 donors to build off of the momentum of last semester’s success.

Junior Adrianne Fogg has vol­un­teered for the last three blood drives, and she was in charge of the social media cam­paign.

“Last semester was the first time we’ve gone over our goal; gen­erally we go under pretty sig­nif­i­cantly,” Fogg said.

The team missed their target goal by 13 donors, fin­ishing the day with a total of 92 donors.

According to GOAL Com­munity Health Program Leader Sarah Becker, they might have reached the required number but stu­dents were “inel­i­gible due to low hemo­globin levels, sickness, and other factors.”

Dan Shanley, a junior and Delta Sigma Phi fra­ternity member said, “Even though we did not reach our goal, we still donated about 75 units of blood, which is still an amazing accom­plishment.”

Becker said she was pleased with the student turnout and the pos­itive envi­ronment it created.

“I was at the blood drive at dif­ferent points throughout the day and was thrilled to see so many stu­dents eager to donate and vol­unteer,” Becker said. “There’s some­thing about helping others in such a tan­gible and mean­ingful way that creates a unique envi­ronment of excitement and energy.”

Becker is excited for the Red Cross to come back next year as “[they] plan to have blood drives each fall and each spring.”