Librarian Linda Moore delivers a pre­sen­tation about her travels abroad. Alexis Daniels | Col­legian

For campus librarian Linda Moore, books are central to her every day job — and to her foreign travels.

In a talk last Wednesday with a col­orful Pow­er­Point pre­sen­tation of travel photos, Moore recounted the high­lights of her adven­tures to various loca­tions, which include all 50 states, Auschwitz, the equator, and Antarctica. Last summer, she visited Indonesia, Japan, and Botswana.

Despite having a father who was “rooted to the land” and a mother who didn’t like to travel, Moore fell in love with travel thanks to a teacher she had had in high school named Pauleen.

Pauleen, she said, was a widow and a librarian who had been recently intro­duced to camping at the time. She invited stu­dents to travel during the summers, including to Dis­neyland. After her senior year, Pauleen asked Moore if she wanted to con­tinue trav­eling with her and a group of other stu­dents.

“As the years went by, other kids went in and then kind of dropped off, but Pauleen and I traveled together for the next 40 odd years,” Moore said, explaining that they stopped when Pauleen turned 87 five years ago. “We’ve had a lot of won­derful trips together.”

Before telling stu­dents about her travels, Moore talked about what makes a great tour.

“For me, a mos­quito net is a great, great start to a trip,” she said. “It tells me I am not in Michigan. I’m out having a great time.”

Great guides, which she said she is willing to pay a premium for, and great com­pan­ionship, were essential to a great expe­rience, as well as — in her opinion — cute or not-so-cute animals, pretty birds, inter­esting archi­tecture and cul­tures, and natural beauty, such as the water­falls in Iceland or the struc­tured gardens in Japan.

As a history major and an anthro­pology minor in college, Moore said she liked to travel according to her interest. It varies, but many times, a book might inspire a trip, she explained.

“I wanted to see what I had read about,” Moore said. “I’ve read about it, but I’d like to see it for myself.”

Travel, said Moore, can be uncom­fortable, not only from sitting on a plane for a long time but also because of what emo­tions can be pro­voked. The Auschwitz camp, for example, was dif­ficult.

“I don’t think anyone wants to go to Auschwitz,” Moore said. “I think people should go to Auschwitz … you had the stacks and moun­tains of shoes, you had the human hair, the luggage of people who thought they were going some­place and didn’t realize that this was the end of the line. So it’s a very tough place to go emo­tionally.”

She said the head of the museum at Auschwitz was Polish and had been himself a prisoner at the camp. He had been arrested for dis­sem­i­nating anti-Nazi lit­er­ature, and he had been one of the first to enter and one of the last to leave the camp. He also tes­tified at the Nuremberg trials and wit­nessed the hanging of the com­mandant of Auschwitz.

Another emo­tionally tough stop was Pearl Harbor, where she stopped at the site of the U.S.S. Arizona. She said she was shocked at how much was still above water, and was also at first indignant to see Japanese tourists.

“I can remember being kind of resentful … how can you show up years later?” she said. “Then I go to Japan and go to Hiroshima.”

Going to Hiroshima was some­thing she rec­og­nized as an uncom­fortable place for Amer­icans to go, but she said like Auschwitz, Hiroshima is nec­essary to visit to rec­ognize that all actions have con­se­quences on real people.

She also described how exciting travel can be, showing the stu­dents and faculty videos and photos of a tribe in Indonesia, ele­phants, lions, hippos, and orang­utans. She added that you learned all sorts of things that were dif­ferent from what Amer­icans do, namely some­thing she called “left and right con­fusion.”

“For Amer­icans, the most unusual thing is people driving on what we con­sider to be the wrong side of the road, and it causes no end of amusement to bus drivers when Amer­icans insist on sitting on the right-hand side of the bus when the door’s on the left,” she said.

Out of all the trips she had taken, she nar­rowed her favorites to five: Antarctica, where she sailed with humpback whales, China, where she had inter­esting inter­ac­tions with the locals, St. Petersburg, where she saw the caskets of the Romanov family, Egypt, and any wildlife tour.

Sophomore Adriana Mal­janian said she loved the way Moore con­nects books with her travels.

“As someone who loves to read and travel, I found Ms. Moore’s stories very exciting,” Mal­janian said in an email. “I really appre­ciate the attention she gives to the con­nec­tions she makes with books and the places she visits, as that is some­thing I hope to do soon in my travels!”

Sophomore Jaime Boerema said she thinks it is valuable to learn about for­mative expe­ri­ences in other people’s lives.

“I was really fas­ci­nated by the vast spectrum of travel expe­ri­ences Mrs. Moore has had the priv­ilege of under­taking,” Boerema said in an email. “The many cul­tures and cli­mates she has seen are truly amazing.”