Michael Szabo pre­pares to return a serve in a match against Indiana Wes­leyan in the fall. (Ryan Goff | Col­legian)

The Hillsdale College Chargers traveled more than three hours to Lex­ington, Ohio, on Sat­urday, to kick off their season against Ashland Uni­versity. The Chargers left with a 4 – 3 victory against the Eagles, after winning three of six singles matches and two of three doubles matches.

New NCAA Division II scoring rules dictate that points are rewarded for each team’s singles victory, and one point is awarded for the three doubles matches, meaning whichever team wins at least two of the three earns the point.

Junior Charlie Adams won no. 1 singles, 6 – 4, 6 – 4, senior Justin Hyman won no. 3 singles, 6 – 1, 6 – 4, and sophomore Gabe Katz won no. 6 singles, 6 – 1, 6 – 2.

Adams and Hyman teamed up for a 6 – 4 victory in no. 1 doubles, while junior Julien Clouette and freshman Brian Hackman won no. 3 doubles by the same score.

On Sunday, the Chargers com­pleted a perfect weekend by defeating Dav­enport Uni­versity at home, 4 – 3. Again, each team won three singles matches, but Hillsdale won two of three doubles matches.

Adams again won no. 1 singles, 6 – 1, 6 – 3, while Clouette scored his first singles victory of the season in no. 5 singles, 6 – 3, 6 – 2. Katz won no. 6 singles, 6 – 4, 6 – 0.

The same two doubles teams carried the weight for the Chargers, with Adams and Hyman winning 7 – 5 at no. 1 doubles, and Clouette and Hackman winning at no. 3, 6 – 3.

The Chargers remain at home this weekend, hosting Purdue Northwest Uni­versity on Sat­urday at noon and Ferris State Uni­versity on Sunday at 11 a.m.

Previous articleAthens’ Pericles belongs on the Liberty Walk
Next articleCharger Chatter: Carmen Botha
Nathan is a junior at Hillsdale College studying Rhetoric and Public Address and Journalism. He is Sports Editor and beat reporter for the Football, Women's Basketball, and Baseball teams for the Hillsdale Collegian. When he's not watching or writing about sports, Nathan enjoys playing organ and singing. Originally from St. Louis Missouri, Nathan now lives in Fort Wayne, Indiana. You can follow Nathan on twitter @nategrime or Hillsdale Collegian Sports at @HDaleSports.