Infor­ma­tional flyer for Mediter­ranean Dinner hosted by the Academy.

Taste the Mediter­ranean this Sat­urday and help support a trip to Italy and Greece.

Hillsdale Academy will host their annual Mediter­ranean Feast fundraiser on Sat­urday to help support its junior and senior classes’ trip to Italy and Greece. Dinner will be served from 5:30 p.m. to 7 p.m. with a silent auction to follow, spon­sored by “Woman’s Life” which matches auction pro­ceeds up to $500. Tickets to the event are free for children under 5, $5 for college stu­dents and children 6 – 11, and $7 for ages 12 and up. The Mediter­ranean inspired food will be donated by the owner of Johnny T’s Bistro, Rick Tropiano.

Although the trip to Europe is biannual, the Academy raises money year-round to help alle­viate their student’s cost, and this event is their largest fundraiser.

Dedra Birzer, lec­turer of history at Hillsdale College and one of the coor­di­nators of the Mediter­ranean Feast, said they’re expecting as many as 300 people. She said their goal in fundraising is to raise $1,000 per kid, to help lower the cost from $3,900. Thirty junior and seniors going on their trip in the end of March.

“People are already stretching to make sure they can pay for their kids to attend the academy, we want to make sure we can lower the cost for every kid,” Kenneth Calvert, asso­ciate pro­fessor of ancient history at Hillsdale College and former head­master of Hillsdale Academy said.

Calvert has attended the trip since 2003, but this year he’ll serve in a dif­ferent capacity.

“I had always gone as the head­master,” Calvert said, “but this year I get to go as a dad.”

Calvert also said that when he was head­master he had a saying: “Nobody goes unless everybody can go.”

Calvert said that the trip to Europe is mandatory and the academy works hard to make sure they can get every kid to go because it’s a sort of cap­stone to their clas­sical, history, lit­erary, and reli­gious edu­cation.

“I’m con­vinced of the trip,” Birzer said. “It’s a cul­mi­nation of the academy’s edu­cation.”

The current Head­master David Diener said that the trip exposes the stu­dents to the birth­places of western civ­i­lization.

All are welcome to attend the dinner Sat­urday night.

“The Mediter­ranean Feast on Sat­urday is our stu­dents’ primary fundraiser for this trip,” Diener said in an email. “They work hard to help pay their way, and the fundraiser is in large part what makes this excep­tional edu­ca­tional trip pos­sible for our stu­dents.”