Kajsa Johannson was named G‑MAC Freshman Woman’s Track Athlete of the Meet at the G‑MAC Indoor Cham­pi­onships.

Records some­times seem to last forever, enduring so long they reach a near-mythical status; rar­ified air never to be breathed again. In Kajsa Johansson’s mind, however, 37 years was long enough.

Johansson flirted with the school record in the 60 meter dash — set at 7.70 seconds by Carol Pettit in 1982 — all year, coming within three hun­dredths of a second on three dif­ferent occa­sions. In the final heat of the G‑MAC Indoor Cham­pi­onships when it mat­tered most, Johansson blew the record away. She fin­ished in 7.65 seconds and took first in the event.

“It’s really cool. All season I expected con­ference to be the time where my per­for­mance would peak for the season.” Johansson said. “In the moment, I wasn’t really focused on that though, I was focused on scoring points for the team.”

As a young team, the Chargers entered the G‑MAC Indoor Cham­pi­onship looking to make a splash. After the events con­cluded Sat­urday in the Uni­versity of Findlay’s Malcolm Ath­letic Center, Hillsdale found them­selves in third with 99.5 points. The Chargers fin­ished just behind Walsh Uni­versity, who took second with 103 points, while Tiffin Uni­versity made a statement in their first year in the G‑MAC, fin­ishing first with 188.5 points.

“Con­sid­ering the size of our team this year and how young our team is, that was really impressive.” Johansson said. “There’s a lot of potential in the future for us.”

Johansson show­cased some of that potential in both her events. After winning the 60m, Johansson also ran well in the 200 meter dash, fin­ishing second with a time of 25.23 seconds, a per­sonal best.

In light of Johansson’s per­for­mance in the 60m and the 200m, she was rec­og­nized as the Freshman of the Meet. Johansson has demon­strated explosive ath­leticism and extra­or­dinary potential in her first full indoor season, and is locked in on improving.

“Being on the younger side of the team, I just want to focus on improvement.” Johansson said. “I just want to get faster.”

In the 5000 meter run, sophomore Christina Sawyer fin­ished at the head of the pack. Her time of 17:48.74 placed her in first and earned her the title of con­ference champion.

Sophomore Abbie Porter also com­peted well in the 800 meter run, fin­ishing just seven hun­dredths of a second behind the leader to take second in a time of 2:16.64. Porter is one of the two Chargers to qualify for the national meet. Her season best time of 2:11.23 is the 14th best in the nation.

Hillsdale’s other qual­ifier for nationals is senior Allysen Eads. In her qual­ified event, the mile run, Eads fin­ished in 4:57.77 to take second place in the G‑MAC. Her fastest time this year, just over four minutes and 52 seconds, ranks as the 12th quickest time in the country this season. Eads is also qual­ified in the 3000 meter run.

In the field, freshman thrower Nikita Maines con­tinued to perform at a high level for Hillsdale. Maines broke her own school record for the third time this year, throwing 14.29 meters to take third. Midway through her freshman cam­paign, Maines already has the six best throws in school history, but she’s con­fident she hasn’t reached her ceiling yet.

“I believe I can keep throwing well and keep setting that record higher,” Maines said.

As the indoor regular season comes to a close, Eads and Porter will look forward to the Division II Indoor National Cham­pi­onships in Pittsburg, Kansas on March 8 and 9. For the rest of the team, the beginning of the outdoor season is right around the corner, bringing new oppor­tu­nities for success.

“The outdoor season’s a lot of fun,” Johansson said. “Everyone’s excited to just get outside and get working.”

The outdoor season will begin on March 15 when the Chargers will travel to the Uni­versity of Miami for the Miami Hur­ricane Invi­ta­tional.