A response column to Hillsdale women’s accu­sa­tions in “Guys and other four-letter words.” Col­legian Archives

On March 16, 1989, The Col­legian pub­lished an article titled “Guys and Other Four-Letter Words” detailing the women of Hillsdale’s view on dating and men at Hillsdale.

Current ladies of Hillsdale beware: Some of these quotes are all too relatable.

When asked about the Hillsdale dating life, one student, Renee, said, “There is no dating. Guys just don’t ask girls out on dates here. One thing in general just about the dating sit­u­ation at Hillsdale: When you’re seen with a guy once you’re auto­mat­i­cally going out.”

Another student, Wendy, said, “I think that the guys could find cre­ative things to do, but most of the guys here don’t. You need spon­taneity. You need some­thing dif­ferent than “let’s get drunk and go to the parties.”

A third anonymous woman com­mented, “There’s a certain sense, spe­cially when you’re a freshman, in which you spend two hours in front of the mirror before a party teasing your hair, expecting to meet Mr. Right. It’s not going to happen.” Ouch.

Other women offered a very pes­simistic view of the men on campus. Jenny W. said, “I think they’re too cocky. They like to have fun and every­thing, but they put on an air of being too con­fident. But it’s a cover-up, because they’re really insecure.”

Wendy also wrote, “Many of them are insincere… I think guys go a lot by what their friends say, and I think you lose variety in that respect.”

Susie took it a step farther. She com­mented, “Men are looking at women on Hillsdale’s campus as toys.”

However, other women had a more pos­itive view of the boys of the Dale. Wendy W. said, “You see the studying aspect more here. It’s not just con­stant par­tying every night.” Micki L. said, “I think they have some­thing that a lot of guys don’t have. They know how to treat girls. They don’t always do it, but they know how to open a door, be polite, that sort of thing.”

Well, if you can’t get them to act politely I guess we can be happy that they at least know how to be polite.

One week later, the men of Hillsdale spoke up. In an article titled “Their Turn: Guys Talk Back” pub­lished on April 20, 1989, the men had a chance to respond.

When asked about the most impressive qual­ities of the female stu­dents, Tom B. said, “They dress nice. I’ve never seen a girl in blue jeans and a T-shirt in my life around here.” Okay, so I guess that has changed because I con­sider wearing jeans dressing up for class as opposed to my usual groutfit attire.

Matt P. wrote, “Most of them have a lot of money.” Matt, you’re not doing a great job dis­proving the girl’s com­plaints that the boys of Hillsdale are insincere.  

“I think the girls here are good girls, not just in the moral­istic sense. They’re a lot better looking than the girls at other schools… They’re wealthy, smart, intel­ligent, and they dress nice.”

The boys were much more graphic when describing the neg­ative qual­ities of Hillsdale women.

Brad made this oh-so-flat­tering analogy: “I like to compare the females at Hillsdale College to a praying mantis. They’re very elegant. They move slow. And then they pounce on you and rip your head off. And they’ll smile while they’re eating you.” Thank you, Brad, for this col­orful and not-at-all dra­matic com­parison.

An anonymous com­menter wrote, “They are totally self-cen­tered, unbe­lievably selfish, ego­tis­tical, pathetic, sick wimps. I’ll tell you why. They’re totally oppor­tunistic pigs.” Another animal analogy is a tough look.

All in all, the 1980s was clearly a time of dissent between the sexes at Hillsdale, but judging from the alumni who come back to visit, it is evident that all the romances worked out and these two articles didn’t do too much damage to dating at Hillsdale.

did that article say that kids were par­tying every night of the week? That doesn’t sound like a christian school???? — BECAUSE it wasn’t a christian school. Can we please change this ridiculous notion and let the good times roll? Make Hillsdale great again?