Hillsdale Beauty College opened an addi­tional campus in Cold­water at 440 Mar­shall Street extend pro­grams. Courtesy|Zetave Young

Hillsdale Beauty College recently added a second location at 440 Mar­shall Street in Cold­water, due to strong market demand and proven success at the original school in downtown Hillsdale.

Opened in 1928 as “Riggs Beauty Culture,” the beauty college’s long history has seen six owners, all of whom chose to operate out of one school location. Current owners, Andy and Zetave Young, who took over in 2013, decided it was time to expand when The Salon Academy, a Cold­water beauty school, closed last year.

Zetave Young said after The Salon Academy closed, the timing was perfect.

“We didn’t want anyone to step in before we got the chance,” Zetave Young said.

According to Andy Young, there’s a strong market for the beauty college.

“There’s a big-time need over here for a second school,” he said.

Junior instructor Kelsey Molinaro, who became involved with the beauty college after attending through the co-op program during her junior and senior years of high school, said they have stu­dents from all over. While there are a few from Hillsdale and Jonesville, they also attract stu­dents from farther south, including Hudson, Adrian, Jackson, and even Northern Ohio.

“We do pull from all over – some are local, but some are a little further than you’d expect,” Molinaro said.

Taking Hillsdale Beauty College’s success in downtown Hillsdale, Andy and Zetave Young plan to com­pletely clone the cur­riculum in Cold­water. Pro­grams include the cos­me­tology program and instructor training, with skills ranging from hair cutting to formal styling to facials and makeup appli­cation.

“We do colors and perms and we do manis, pedis, and nail enhance­ments, as well,” Molinaro said. “We do every­thing. And the ser­vices are offered at a dis­counted price, so it’s very good for the college student budget.”

Andy Young said that the Hillsdale location uses a co-op program with local high schools, and now that the beauty college has received con­tracts with the schools in Cold­water, the Youngs are hoping to achieve the same results.

Although the school hasn’t offi­cially opened yet, its first class is pro­jected to begin on Feb. 11th, depending on if the financial aid that the college offers is able to con­tinue.

“Our stu­dents are starting on Monday,” Zetave Young said. “We’re just super excited to expand and see where it takes us.”

The size of the new location is sub­stan­tially larger, said Andy Young. The current location has around 35 to 40 stu­dents in Hillsdale, and they hope to teach even more with the bigger space in Cold­water.

Zetave Young said that three instructors will serve both loca­tions. She added that they’re cur­rently licensed by the State of Michigan to teach 20 stu­dents per one instructor, so they will have to adjust numbers as enrollment numbers change in the future. After serving as the head instructor in Hillsdale, Zetave Young is going to take the same position in Cold­water, where she cur­rently lives. The other two instructors are new to the college. Molinaro, will con­tinue her role at the Hillsdale location. But she will be taking on more of a lead­ership role with Zetave Young in Cold­water.

“I’m not doing a whole lot more than before,” Molinaro said. “I’m han­dling a little more of the new stu­dents coming in. I’ll be running ori­en­tation. I’ll be han­dling if there are any dis­gruntled stu­dents or patrons that come in. Sched­uling classes and getting people in the industry to come in and do demon­stra­tions. And of course just making sure every­thing here is running smoothly and everyone’s playing by the rules.”

This is on top of Molinaro’s job of teaching stu­dents the skills and basics nec­essary to come out on the senior floor and work for the public.

The senior floor, Molinaro said, is basi­cally a student salon. It’s where student who have between 350 and 11,500 hours can work. The salon is open to the public at a dis­counted rate.

“I take stu­dents on day one at zero hours of training until they’re at 350 hours,” Molinaro said. “It usually takes three and a half to four months.”

The program starts by teaching dry styling, then moves into wet styling, among other things.

“We learn perms, color appli­ca­tions, foiling tech­niques, hair cuts, facials, pedicure,” she said. “We teach them of every single skill that they need for this industry.”