Equip begins new practical prayer ministry

Home News Homepage - News Equip begins new practical prayer ministry
Equip Ministries started a new program called Prayer Lab, which aims to help students apply prayer to their lives by looking at different biblical prayers. Pexels

Equip Ministries, a Christian organization on campus, began a new program called Prayer Lab this month to support students in deepening their spiritual lives. The group meets once a week to explore different styles of prayer and encourage one another in their spiritual journeys.

“Our goal is to equip people with the tools to develop their prayer lives, to really seek the kingdom of God through prayer,” said junior Jenna Wiita, who is in charge of the new program.

Each week, students will examine a new technique to focus one’s attention on God. From structured and traditional prayers to more creative and freestyle methods such as prayer sketching and journaling, the goal is for participants to find a variety of ways to ensure a more meaningful experience.

“Prayer Lab is a really cool experience because it allows you to set aside a little time before your week starts to meet with other believers and intercede in a different way,” said freshman Sonya Wirkus. “I really like what the leaders are trying to accomplish — just show that prayer is raw and honest, and God always wants to hear what you have to say.”

Freshman Ashley Warden, co-leader of Prayer Lab said “learning how to sit in God’s presence is something that’s very overlooked in today’s culture, especially in the culture of the church.” While prayer is common, the leaders of this group want to change how it can be overlooked.

“The greatest commandment is to love God, and in order to love someone you have to be in communication with them,” Wiita said. “This is the avenue God has given us for that.”

Through reading Scripture, looking at familiar prayers such as the Lord’s Prayer with fresh eyes, and discovering new ways to talk to God, the leaders of Equip’s Prayer Lab are excited to develop their faiths with all who attend.

Prayer Lab is held in the Formal Lounge every Sunday night at 7 p.m.