Katie Bell pre­pares to return a serve in a match last season. (Hillsdale Chargers | Courtesy)

On Sunday, the Hillsdale College Chargers secured a shutout 7 – 0 victory against Dav­enport Uni­versity in a strong start to the season.

The early con­ference favorite Chargers won each indi­vidual match in straight sets and both doubles matches. Dav­enport did not field players for no. 6 singles or no. 3 doubles.

Stepping into the no. 1 singles spot after playing at no. 2 last season, sophomore Hannah Cim­peanu won her match 6 – 1, 6 – 1 and joined freshman Sarah Hackman to take no. 1 doubles 6 – 3. From the start, Hackman has made her presence felt on the team, winning no. 2 singles 6 – 2, 6 – 1.

“I felt pre­pared for it pretty well,” Hackman said. “However, just making sure that we con­tinue to start off doubles matches strong will def­i­nitely be key.”

Senior Halle Hyman came back from her shoulder injury strong, winning 6 – 2, 6 – 0 at no. 4 singles.

“She had a really great match coming back. So it was def­i­nitely — for her first match in almost a year — a dom­inant per­for­mance,” head coach Nikki Wal­bright said.

Junior Katie Bell won her no. 3 singles match 6 – 2, 6 – 2, and joined senior Corinne Prost at no. 2 doubles, winning 6 – 4.

“[Bell’s] strong ground­strokes and my volleys, as well as my serve with her poaches pair well together,” Prost said. “Both our game styles and per­son­al­ities com­plement each other. We under­stand how the other ticks, which allows us to com­mu­nicate better between points and off the court.”

In no. 5 singles, junior Kamryn Matthews had the one of the two bagel sets of the day, winning her match 6 – 0, 6 – 3. All the way through the lineup, the Chargers managed to stay on top of their oppo­nents throughout the match. The theme of the match according to Wal­bright was the team’s dom­i­nance from no. 1 doubles to no. 5 singles.

“We have a really solid team, where you could probably put anybody any­where,” Wal­bright said. “It’s a great problem to have.”

The Chargers host Ferris State Uni­versity on Sunday at 3:30 p.m.

Are the Doubles team per­sonnel the same throughout the season, or do they mix and match depending on cir­cum­stances and the oppo­sition?