Julien Clouette returns a serve during a doubles match against Purdue Northwest on Feb­ruary 9. (S. Nathaniel Grime | Col­legian)

The Hillsdale College Chargers split two away games last weekend, losing on Friday to Uni­versity of Southern Indiana in a close 4 – 3 match in Evans­ville, Indiana, and sweeping Bel­larmine Uni­versity 4 – 0 on Sat­urday in Louisville, Ken­tucky. The loss against Southern Indiana marks the team’s first of the season.

“We were coming off of a pretty huge win against Ferris State,” freshman Brian Hackman said, speaking of the team’s 4 – 3 win against then-No. 22 Ferris State Uni­versity on Feb. 20.

Junior Michael Szabo, who usually plays No. 2 or 3 singles, was hurt for both matches this weekend.

The Chargers lost all three doubles matches 6 – 3, 6 – 3, and 7 – 5, putting them at an early dis­ad­vantage against Southern Indiana. Junior Julien Clouette was hurt during his singles match, con­ceding another early point.

After ral­lying back to lead 3 – 2, the Chargers lost the final two points.

“That was pretty upsetting,” Hackman said. “We were counting on [junior] Charlie Adams to win at the No. 1 spot, but his opponent played well and made very few mis­takes.”

Senior Justin Hyman won at No. 2 singles, 6 – 4 and 7 – 5, and senior John Ciraci won at No. 3, 6 – 2 and 6 – 2.

Sophomore Gabe Katz won both his sets at No. 6 singles, 6 – 0 and 6 – 2. Since his match the next day went unfin­ished, Katz remains unde­feated in singles this season.

On Sat­urday, the Chargers beat Bel­larmine 4 – 0. After winning the doubles com­pe­tition, junior Charlie Adams won his first two sets 6 – 3 and 6 – 4. At No. 2 and No. 3 singles, Hyman and Ciraci both won their match in only two sets as well, with scores of 7 – 6, 6 – 3, and 6 – 3, 6 – 4, respec­tively.

“We bounced back against Bel­larmine,” Hackman said. “We learned not to let our lead slip away.”

The Chargers are back at home this weekend, hosting Michigan Tech Uni­versity on Sat­urday at 10 a.m. in the Biermann Ath­letic Center. The Huskies have not com­peted in games that count toward their record yet this season, whereas Hillsdale is off to a 6 – 1 start.

The Chargers will con­tinue to play non-con­ference games until March 22, when they host fellow G‑MAC team Davis & Elkins.