Chargers split weekend trip

Home Charger Tennis Chargers split weekend trip
Chargers split weekend trip
Julien Clouette returns a serve during a doubles match against Purdue Northwest on February 9. (S. Nathaniel Grime | Collegian)

The Hillsdale College Chargers split two away games last weekend, losing on Friday to University of Southern Indiana in a close 4-3 match in Evansville, Indiana, and sweeping Bellarmine University 4-0 on Saturday in Louisville, Kentucky. The loss against Southern Indiana marks the team’s first of the season.

“We were coming off of a pretty huge win against Ferris State,” freshman Brian Hackman said, speaking of the team’s 4-3 win against then-No. 22 Ferris State University on Feb. 20.

Junior Michael Szabo, who usually plays No. 2 or 3 singles, was hurt for both matches this weekend.

The Chargers lost all three doubles matches 6-3, 6-3, and 7-5, putting them at an early disadvantage against Southern Indiana. Junior Julien Clouette was hurt during his singles match, conceding another early point.

After rallying back to lead 3-2, the Chargers lost the final two points.

“That was pretty upsetting,” Hackman said. “We were counting on [junior] Charlie Adams to win at the No. 1 spot, but his opponent played well and made very few mistakes.”

Senior Justin Hyman won at No. 2 singles, 6-4 and 7-5, and senior John Ciraci won at No. 3, 6-2 and 6-2.

Sophomore Gabe Katz won both his sets at No. 6 singles, 6-0 and 6-2. Since his match the next day went unfinished, Katz remains undefeated in singles this season.

On Saturday, the Chargers beat Bellarmine 4-0. After winning the doubles competition, junior Charlie Adams won his first two sets 6-3 and 6-4. At No. 2 and No. 3 singles, Hyman and Ciraci both won their match in only two sets as well, with scores of 7-6, 6-3, and 6-3, 6-4, respectively.

“We bounced back against Bellarmine,” Hackman said. “We learned not to let our lead slip away.”

The Chargers are back at home this weekend, hosting Michigan Tech University on Saturday at 10 a.m. in the Biermann Athletic Center. The Huskies have not competed in games that count toward their record yet this season, whereas Hillsdale is off to a 6-1 start.

The Chargers will continue to play non-conference games until March 22, when they host fellow G-MAC team Davis & Elkins.