Brian Hackman returns a serve during a match against Purdue Northwest on Feb­ruary 9. (S. Nathaniel Grime | Col­legian)

The Hillsdale College Chargers routed the Michigan Tech Huskies in a 7 – 0 shutout on Sat­urday, improving to 7 – 1 on the season and 5 – 0 at home.

“It was nice that we only had one match this weekend, healthwise,” freshman Brian Hackman said, pointing to mul­tiple team injuries. “When you have four dif­ficult matches in two weeks, it can be tough.”

During the singles portion, the Chargers decided five of six matches in only two sets. Only the No. 6 match, fea­turing freshman Freddie Heegan, extended to three sets. Heegan, who usually doesn’t play singles matches, even­tually clinched the chargers shutout with an 11 – 9 set.

At the No. 1 spot, junior Charlie Adams dom­i­nated his match, winning both sets 6 – 1. Senior Justin Hyman fol­lowed suit at No. 2, winning his sets 6 – 2 and 6 – 1.

The Chargers’ win comes after a 1 – 1 weekend where they dropped their first match of the season against the Uni­versity of Southern Indiana.

“Con­sid­ering our loss, we were very careful to bring the intensity from the beginning,” Hackman said. “We focused on not letting our lead slip away.”

Hackman and senior John Ciraci won the No. 2 doubles match to clinch the doubles point. Although they wouldn’t need it, Hackman said it was some­thing the team has worked on after the loss against Southern Indiana.

“One of our biggest focuses in practice has been getting the doubles point. It’s doubles doubles doubles,” he said. “We’re learning from the Southern Indiana match.”

Junior Michael Szabo returned last weekend after an injury had kept him out of the Southern Indiana and Bel­larmine Uni­versity matches. He won No. 4 singles with sets of 6 – 1 and 6 – 3.

The early lead gave senior Jerry Hewitt the oppor­tunity to play No. 5 singles. He easily won two sets with scores of 6 – 1 and 6 – 2.

The Chargers look forward to game this Friday and Sunday against Uni­versity of Illinois Spring­field and Wayne State Uni­versity, respec­tively. Friday’s game begins at noon, and Sunday’s begins at 3 p.m. Illinois-Spring­field is 4 – 2 this season, and Wayne State is 5 – 1. The Chargers are 2 – 1 on the road this season.

“We’re looking forward to that,” Hackman said. “Wayne State’s a big chal­lenge. We know we can do it but we really just have to bring our A‑game.”