Brian Hackman serves during a doubles match on Sat­urday against Purdue Northwest. (S. Nathaniel Grime | Col­legian)

On Sat­urday and Sunday, the Hillsdale College Chargers defeated Purdue Northwest Uni­versity and no. 22 Ferris State Uni­versity for a 2 – 0 weekend and a 5 – 0 start to the season.

In no. 1 doubles on Sat­urday, junior Charlie Adams and senior Justin Hyman won 6 – 1, while the available doubles point was clinched through a 7 – 5 win by junior Julien Clouette and freshman Brian Hackman in no. 3 doubles.

In the no. 1 singles flight Adams achieved a 6 – 1, 6 – 2 win. Most sig­nif­i­cantly, Saturday’s match marked coach Keith Turner’s 100th coaching career win.

“Keith is a great recruiter — we wouldn’t all be here if it wasn’t for the work he did in the off seasons,” senior John Ciraci said. “He cul­ti­vated this great team culture so that we can win in high-pressure sit­u­a­tions.”

Turner says he’s opti­mistic about this season and the work his team has put in.

“I feel very good about the upcoming season,” Turner said. “I have a hard-working, ded­i­cated group of guys that con­tinue to improve on the court.”

On Sunday the Chargers main­tained their winning streak, knocking off Ferris State. The win was the Chargers’ first against a nationally-ranked team since 2015.

In no. 3 doubles, Clouette and Hackman earned a 6 – 2 win, but Ferris State ended up taking the doubles point with vic­tories in no. 1 and 2.

A sus­penseful wave of 7 – 6, 6 – 7, 7 – 5, ulti­mately ended in an important win for Adams in the no. 1 singles flight. Adams is unde­feated this season with an overall record of 5 – 0.

“Hon­estly, it was a little nerve-racking, because I knew I had to win the match if we had the chance to win,” Adams said. “It’s the best feeling to win a match that close. It shows that every practice, every lift — it’s all worth it.”

The Chargers will look to maintain their perfect record by taking on Southern Indiana Uni­versity on Friday, and Bel­larmine Uni­versity on Sat­urday.