Bon Appetit | Wiki­media Commons

Stu­dents from Hillsdale Academy will have the oppor­tunity to par­tic­ipate in a food lit­eracy  program developed by Bon Appétit Man­agement Company, Hillsdale College’s food service provider.

On Feb. 20 and 22, from 10:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m., Bon Appétit Catering Manager Rhula Mitcheltree and Bon Appetit Manager of Food Edu­cation for Children Hannah Schmunk will lead stu­dents in hands-on lessons about healthy eating and cooking that will guide in making healthy food choices for them­selves.

“We believe the program is a good tool to combat childhood obesity and related health issues,” Mar­keting Coor­di­nator at Bon Appetit William Persson ’17 said. “What we’re teaching them is that they can enjoy their food and still have it be healthy.”

Persson said Bon Appétit held its first Healthy Kids in the Bon Appétit Kitchen program last summer for stu­dents in Hillsdale Academy.

“Because it’s almost exactly the same as the last class, we sort of revamped the course because it’s unique that we’re doing it again so quickly,” Persson said. “Based on our last class, they kids are so vibrant and really excited about learning. It’s just going to be such a joy to have them come back because it’s it’s really fun to do it.”

During the knife-safety lesson, Persson said the stu­dents will be using child-safe knives and be taught how to properly use the knife by Mitcheltree.

For the veg­etable pizzas, Persson said the dough will already be pre­pared for the stu­dents and Mitcheltree is going to demon­strating how to make a quick marinara sauce for the base. While the pizzas are baking, Persson said the stu­dents will make rainbow fruit kabobs.

In addition to learning about healthy food, the stu­dents will have the oppor­tunity to tour Bon Appétit’s catering kitchen in the Searle Center at Hillsdale College.

“The kids are just always so enthralled by every­thing,” Persson said. “They love the giant walk-in coolers.”