Pres­ident of 1844 Society sophomore Braden Van Dyke and class trea­surer senior Carrie Williams sit at the 1844 Society’s table in the Union on Tuesday. Vic­toria Mar­shall | Col­legian

With love in the air this Valentine’s week, the 1844 Society hopes that some of it will be directed to their annual “Love the ‘Dale” cam­paign. Every day this week, the student-alumni group hopes to target a spe­cific segment of the Hillsdale College com­munity to show their love and appre­ci­ation.

“Our idea was that each day we wanted to show our love for Hillsdale by tar­geting each dif­ferent facet of Hillsdale’s greater network,” sophomore Braden VanDyke, pres­ident of the 1844 Society, said.

On Monday, freshmen were rec­og­nized and donuts were offered at the society’s table in the Grewcock Student Union; on Tuesday, sopho­mores and juniors were high­lighted and Valentine’s candy was dis­tributed; on Wednesday, seniors were acknowl­edged and freshly brewed Checker Records coffee was pro­vided; on Thursday, faculty and staff will be appre­ciated with a faculty guessing game that all stu­dents can par­tic­ipate in, and treats from Jonesville bakery will be offered. Finally, on Friday, the whole Hillsdale College com­munity is invited to cel­e­brate each other and the “Love the ‘Dale” cam­paign with a reception at Rough Draft where cock­tails and hors d’oeuvres will be served.

In addition to rec­og­nizing current stu­dents and faculty, another facet of the “Love the ‘Dale” cam­paign is to get alumni involved in giving to the campus and fos­tering that student-alumni rela­tionship.

“The affinity cam­paign is really tar­geted to alumni to give back to those things that they loved to be apart of while they were at school, whether that’s a greek house, a dorm, any club on campus, or an hon­orary,” VanDyke said.

Last year, the 1844 Society had 288 alumni par­tic­ipate in the cam­paign, and this year, the goal is 350.

“Every­thing you guys benefit from here, whether it’s your majors, classes, clubs, greek life, it’s all funded by other people — so your tuition dollars cover maybe a third of the aca­demic year — the rest is all covered by other people who love what we’re doing here,” said Director of Alumni Engagement Colleen McGinness. “We’re trying to get alumni who love and also ben­e­fited from those things when they were here to give back so you guys can enjoy it.”  

This year, the 1844 Society is part­nering with the senior class on their “Love the ‘Dale” cam­paign in order to high­light the senior class gift, the fountain on the quad, for alumni to fund.

“They’re being so kind to let us work together with them this week,” said senior class officer and trea­surer Carrie Williams. “We’re working to promote the fountain that will be on campus, so the whole “Loving the ‘Dale” theme, the idea of being for stu­dents “present, past, and future”, that’s some­thing that will be ingrained on the fountain.”