Fem­i­nists march in Wash­ington, D.C. for women’s rights. | Courtesy Flickr

The federal gov­ernment may be shut down in Wash­ington, D.C. because of a political stalemate, but the streets of the town will be shut down for a dif­ferent reason this weekend. On Friday, the annual March for Life will take place in the Capitol, and the next day, the annual Women’s March will follow. The two ide­ologies rep­re­sented in these marches couldn’t be further opposed to each other. Thou­sands from all across America, including stu­dents from Hillsdale, will par­tic­ipate in the marches this weekend. But as much as marching raises awareness for important current issues of social injustice and political policy, it doesn’t always lead to action. Marching in Wash­ington puts the spot­light on an issue for a day or two, but making a real dif­ference in the lives of real people starts with local action. Should you march? Of course. But don’t just walk the talk — talk the walk. Vol­unteer, vote, and reach out to indi­viduals whom you can help. Live by your con­vic­tions daily wherever you are; not just in one city on one day each year.

Whenever the col­legian runs a story men­tioning abortion, I find that it is best to post an article like this in order to hope­fully improve the con­ver­sation: https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2003/02/hitchens200302

This was probably the best col­legian article on the subject.
    I would guess many Hillsdale stu­dents are also going for the women’s march, which has its own issues but is oth­erwise a good event for stu­dents to attend.