(Todd Lan­caster, Hillsdale College Ath­letics)

When the Hillsdale College Chargers arrived at the Uni­versity of Findlay’s Malcolm Ath­letic Center for the Findlay Open, they came to compete with one goal in mind: to win as a team. This year, the Chargers face an improved G‑MAC field with a young team, missing several grad­uates from the team that fin­ished second at the G‑MAC Indoor Cham­pi­onships last March. In spite of the obstacles, head coach Andrew Towne is con­fident in his team’s ability to find success.

“One of the reasons we’ve been able to have success is we’ve always, when we’ve been at our best, empha­sized the indi­vidual within the team, and I think we’ve gotten back to that,” Towne said. “We’ve just made it a bigger emphasis.”

The Chargers cer­tainly looked the part, leaving Findlay with a quality per­for­mance that demon­strated improvement, and showed the signs of a team that could once again compete for a con­ference title.

In the 3000 meter run, the Chargers took three of the top four spots, with freshman Mark Miller taking first, fin­ishing the race in eight minutes and 49 seconds. Sophomore Jack Shelley fin­ished in second in 8:50, while junior Alex Oquist fin­ished just a few seconds behind in fourth, ending with a time of 8:54. Sophomore Adam Wade rounded out the strong mid-dis­tance per­for­mance with a victory in the 800 meter run, fin­ishing with a time of 2:00.52.

Three Chargers qual­ified for finals in the 60 meter hurdles. Freshman John Baldwin fin­ished in fourth with a time of 8.70 seconds, junior Ian Brown just behind in fifth in 8.75 seconds, and sophomore Ryan Thomsen in seventh with a time of 8.88 seconds.

Freshman Jacob Schmidt showed potential in the 60 meter dash, fin­ishing second in a close race with 6.99 seconds.

In the field events, Thomsen fin­ished second in the long jump, landing at 6.7 meters.

The Chargers will compete in the Con­ference Crossover on Friday at Hillsdale’s Biermann Ath­letic Center. The meet will feature strong com­pe­tition from dif­ferent con­fer­ences.