Ally Eads leads a pack of Chargers around a turn during the one mile run on Friday. (Scott Lowery | Col­legian)

The Hillsdale College Chargers entered 2019 with high expec­ta­tions in the G‑MAC. After a dom­inant team per­for­mance on their home track, Hillsdale seems poised to meet those expec­ta­tions, and remains serious con­tenders for another con­ference cham­pi­onship.

The Chargers fin­ished first at the Con­ference Crossover with 150 team points, besting G‑MAC adver­saries Ursuline College and the Uni­versity of Findlay by a com­fortable margin.

Hillsdale was led by the per­for­mance of freshman thrower Nikita Maines. In just her third col­le­giate meet, Maines set a school record in the shot put with a throw of 14.05 meters. The dis­tance breaks Melissa Aardema’s pre­vious record throw of 13.82 meters, set in 1992. The dis­tance also set a higher NCAA Division II pro­vi­sional mark, increasing Maines’ chances of qual­i­fying the event for the national meet.

“I figured I would do well but I didn’t think I would do so well so soon,” Maines said. “I think I can hand that success to my coaches and how much time they push us to put in.”

Maines has shown con­sistent improvement, both in the shot put and the weight throw, but she doesn’t want her success to end there.

“I just want to con­tinue to do better. I want to con­tinue to keep breaking the record and keep making it higher.” Maines said.

As for other field events, freshman Alexie Day jumped for a season-best height in high jump, clearing 1.53 meters to take second place.

The Chargers also saw strong per­for­mances on the track. Hillsdale runners con­tinued their dom­i­nance in the mid-dis­tance events. In the mile run, taking the first eight places. Sophomore Maryssa Depies led the way, fin­ishing in 5 minutes and 6.58 seconds. Sophomore Abbie Porter and freshman Amber Mango cruised around the track to take second and third in the 800m, respec­tively.

Sophomore Carmen Botha took first in the 400 meter hurdles with a time of 1:06.24, with freshman Melanie Boehm and sophomore Calli Townsend taking second and third respec­tively.

Boehm, Porter, and Townsend joined sophomore Zalonya Eby to take first in the 4x400 meter relay. The team fin­ished in 4:06.04, rounding out a first-place team per­for­mance for the day.

“We’re all in this together, there’s no one left out,” Maines said. “We all have to keep pushing our­selves to that next level.”

The Chargers are back in action on Friday, trav­eling to Grand Valley State Uni­versity for the GVSU Chal­lenge. Events begin at 2 p.m.