LA Theater Works to perform “Steel Mag­nolias” radio drama at Hillsdale College Tuesday, Feb­ruary 5 at 7:30 p.m. | Pexels.

Jour­neying all the way from the land of film, theater, and all things drama, six diverse women from LA Theater Works will bring to life a pro­duction of Robert Harling’s “Steel Mag­nolias” in Markel Audi­torium Tuesday, Feb. 5.

A play set pri­marily in a beauty shop, “Steel Mag­nolias” explores how the eccen­tric­ities and secu­rities of friendship lend meaning to both the comedies and tragedies of life. The plot sprawls across the lives of six col­orful women in Louisiana, as they expe­rience together wed­dings, babies, and love, and as they combat illness and deflating updos. The plot focuses par­tic­u­larly on M’Lynn and her daughter Shelby, as they battle Shelby’s dia­betes together and ulti­mately refuse to accept the lim­i­ta­tions that the disease places on her life.

LA Theater Works is unique in that it does radio drama, both staged and recorded, and “Steel Mag­nolias” will not be put on in typical play fashion. The actresses will be standing around micro­phones for the majority of the play, acting through voice, expression and body lan­guage. Through these recordings, LA Theater Works have made it their mission to deliver world-class theater to a uniquely wide­spread set of lis­teners.

Actress Inger Tudor, who plays M’Lynn, said that she finds this type of acting uniquely chal­lenging and engaging.

“The way its staged, we are at micro­phones and we face straight out to audience. So you have to imagine the reac­tions that you’re getting from other actors,” Tudor said. “You can hear it from their voice, but you have to imagine what their facial expression is. You have to stay so focused and really listen harder than you have to do in any other type of per­forming. The second your mind wanders, it become obvious on your face.”

Tudor explained why this role was par­tic­u­larly ful­filling for her.

“What I really like about M’Lynn, is that she is a career woman, who has got a daughter who all of her life has dia­betes. So as a mom she has always been pro­tective,” Tudor said. “But at the same time her daughter wants to do all these dif­ferent things, and live her life, and of course she wants her to do that. So I like the chal­lenge of playing that type of role.”

Hillsdale College Chairman of Theater and Dance James Brandon, as always, said that he is excited for both the Hillsdale com­munity in general, and theater stu­dents specif­i­cally, to see this pro­duction.

“There is not a lot of pro­fes­sional theater hap­pening in Hillsdale County. It is important for our audience to see work that’s not locally grown, to see work from the outside world,” Brandon said. “I think it’s most important for our stu­dents, espe­cially the ones studying the field to see and get to meet and work with pro­fes­sionals.”