Michigan Con­gress­woman, Rashida Tlaib, creates con­tro­versy with vulgar com­ments in regards to impeaching trump. Wiki media commons

On Jan. 3 Rashida Tlaib, a Demo­c­ratic con­gress­woman from Michigan’s 13th con­gres­sional dis­trict, was sworn into the 116th session of U.S. Con­gress. The same day that Tlaib was sworn into office, she told a group of her sup­porters, regarding Pres­ident Donald Trump, “we’re gonna go in there and we’re gonna impeach the motherf*****.”

Tlaib’s com­ments sparked a national debate – a debate that hit close to home for many members of the Hillsdale com­munity.

A petition to have Tlaib removed from office has been cir­cu­lating on social media, including among the social plat­forms of Hillsdale res­i­dents who are upset about Tlaib’s comment.

The petition claims that Tlaib is unfit for Con­gress and calls for “her imme­diate removal from her seat.”

Hillsdale res­ident, Penny Swan, opposed Tlaib’s remarks.

“Saying those words is absolutely dis­re­spectful and dis­gusting, no matter what venue one is speaking in,” Swan said in a per­sonal message. “I’m embar­rassed by a Michigan politician dis­re­specting our pres­ident with such hor­rific words.”

For Swan, Tlaib’s remarks show a lack of respect for the office of the pres­ident.

“Trump is the com­mander in chief and demands a certain amount of respect,” Swan said. “He won that respect by winning the election.”
While the petition sur­passed its goal of 100,000 sig­na­tures, there has been no change in Tlaib’s position among the freshmen rep­re­sen­ta­tives in the House.
While some people call for Tlaib’s removal from office, Mayor Adam Stockford said that it’s up to her con­stituents to decide her ultimate fate.

“It isn’t for me to judge,” Stockford said in an email.
Stockford admits that much worse can be said, even claiming, “I’ve said worse.”
“The tragedy of it is that she’s getting national attention for saying some­thing that any fool can say,” Stockford said. “It’s going to make her a pow­erful rep­re­sen­tative because now she’s rec­og­nizable.”

Since Tlaib’s initial com­ments, many people have weighed in on the issue, including the pres­ident himself. In a Tweet, Trump asked how “you impeach a pres­ident who has won perhaps the greatest election of all time.” Trump did not identify the reason for his tweet, but it came the morning after Tlaib’s remarks.

Even some Democrats have come forward to condemn Tlaib’s statement. Rep. Jerry Nadler, a Democrat from New York and and the chairman of the House Judi­ciary Com­mittee, said it’s too early to intel­li­gently talk about a pos­sible impeachment.

“I don’t really like that kind of lan­guage, but more to the point, I dis­agree with what she said,” Nadler said on CNN.

On Jan. 15, a Jewish city com­mis­sioner from Florida’s Hal­landale Beach in Broward County, signed the petition on Facebook, but not without con­tro­versy. Along with the commissioner’s post where she claimed to have “proudly” signed the petition, she also added that Tlaib “is a danger” and that she “would not put it past her to become a martyr and blow up Capitol Hill.”

Tlaib responded on Twitter to the commissioner’s com­ments saying: “This sort of hateful anti-Muslim rhetoric doesn’t happen in a vacuum — this Pres­ident embraced it and Repub­licans have happily gone along with it.”
Kevin Portteus, pro­fessor of pol­itics at Hillsdale College, said he isn’t nec­es­sarily con­cerned with Tlaib’s com­ments, but rather the sub­stance that is buried beneath the shock factor.

“The idea that she should be silenced is ridiculous,” Portteus said in an email. “Let people see her for what she is, whatever that may be.”

She’s classless and ignorant, but she’s a perfect postergirl for this Democrat con­trolled House. Nancy Pelosi is going to have a lot of fun trying to keep this gaggle of nitwits, nin­com­poops and loud mouths inline and get any leg­is­lation done. Then again, all the Dems stand for is oppo­sition to Trump-they have no policies to enact and refuse to work with the Senate and White House on com­promise.

As I type this, Pres­ident Trump has taken away Speaker Pelosi’s pre­rog­ative to use Exec­utive Branch air­craft to boon­doggle around the world on trips-in retal­i­ation to Pelosi’s implied threat to dis­allow the Pres­ident to address the House with his State of the Union address. I can visu­alize where the Pres­ident turns his back on the House and instead works with the Senate and uses Exec­utive Orders to enact leg­is­lation. If Pelosi thinks she can win a turf war with the White House and US Senate-all the while trying to keep the worst of her congressperson’s in line-she has another think coming. She may have mar­gin­alized herself right out of the picture.

• Don Her­nandez

She just said what mil­lions of Amer­icans think.

It’s true the mil­lions of Amer­icans are classless and ignorant, they vote Democrat every 2 years.

seems to me like the democrats can’t muster a truly great insult like the pres­ident can. Our pres­ident not only mocks with his name-calling, but he per­sonally insults them. Come back to Wash­ington when you know how to properly use dirty words to mock and deride not only the pres­ident, but those close to him and those whom he rep­re­sents Mrs. Tlaib!

You can mock without resorting to words I wouldn’t use in front of children, that’s all I ask. I enjoy vig­orous debate and even insults-if they’re kept at an adult level.

I think you are missing the point. Allow me to make it clear: Our pres­ident is worse than the “classless and ignorant” Romney that you decry below. It seems that you are quote incon­sistent when you rip someone obvi­ously vanilla like romney, yet refuse to mention how ridiculous Trump is. I’d go as far as saying that someone that incon­sistent is either obscuring the facts or being foolish.

Gosh you are testy today. I admitted in another posting that Trump can be rude, crude and petty-what more do you want me to say? Accuse him of beating his wife, without evi­dence of that?

You don’t like Trump, I know that. With some folks Trump is a gut­tural dislike, I am aware of that. But, he is getting things done, unlike Romney would have been. At the end of the day it’s about accom­plish­ments, not image.

Get back to my question that I asked you in another posting, would you rather Hillary Clinton have been Pres­ident? Your answer to that will say reams to me-people who ignore her cor­ruption are blinded by their ide­ology.

Red Herring Fallacy above — the point is that Pres­ident Trump uses much worse lan­guage on a regular basis and I don’t see you making any note of it. I’m not Trump deranged, but I cer­tainly notice your con­stant attacks against anyone who cri­tiques him. Hillsdale College was built upon a spirit of open inquiry. I know that the school is pro­gressing toward fascism, but on this comment thread we who do our research can realize that both sides can be wrong on this issue. The school must not become a mouth­piece for the repub­lican party or this pres­i­dency in par­ticular.

On the con­trary, I’ve crit­i­cized him many times for his lan­guage and tone. I cringe some mornings for things he tweeted early in the morning. But that’s Trump, nobody is going to change him-and many folks like his candor and dis­re­spect for the Elitists.

Trump has done more for the average folks in this country than the last 4 Pres­i­dents, IMHO. Only Reagan was like that. So I can deal with the bad lan­guage on the whole. And when some freshman Con­gress­woman from Michigan says ‘We’re going to impeach the Motherf — -r!’ where is YOUR outrage and crit­icism? I don’t recall seeing it in any of your posts on that article. Whoops!

Who’s bela­boring ‘Red Herring Fal­lacies’? And if you really think Hillsdale College is ‘pro­gressing towards facism’ you’re engaging in hyperbole which is char­ac­ter­istic of the other side, who like to call everybody who doesn’t agree with their tried-and-failed ide­ology ‘racists’ and ‘bigots’.

I’m not a member of the reli­gious right. I’m not reli­gious at all. The members of that com­munity have faith/Biblical stan­dards that they are sup­posed to maintain. When you choose to forego obe­dience to those rules — according to the Bible — you put your position to god in a dif­ficult position (James 1:19 – 26).

‘Iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.’ (Proverbs 27:17)

I am doing my best to adhere to that.

If you are going to follow a book as old and mistake-filled as the Bible (as any book of that era is, but alas, most are smart enough not to make a religion out of them), allow me to point you toward a portion that you should be priv­i­leging above the rest (espe­cially above PROV 27:17).

He has told you, O man, what is good; And what does the LORD require of you But to do justice, to love kindness, And to walk humbly with your God? — Micah 6:8

I think that makes things pretty clear. How would you say POTUS is doing at that?

‘I care very little if I am judged by you or by any human court; indeed, I do not even judge myself. My con­science is clear, but that does not make me innocent. It is the LORD who judges me. Therefore judge nothing before the appointed time; wait until the LORD comes. He will bring to light what is hidden in darkness and will expose the motives of the heart. At that time each will receive their praise from God.’ — 1 Corinthians 4:3 – 5:3

well the “lord” as you call it makes it pretty clear what it is that he will be judging people on. So when you are sup­porting a politician that fla­grantly vio­lates those prin­ciples, you should be doing some critical judge­ments of yourself.

• Camus53

Given that the “F” word is donnies favorite word…his own admission…hard cold fact…how dare we crit­icize someone for speaking just like the dumpster in chief.