Michigan Con­gress­woman, Rashida Tlaib, creates con­tro­versy with vulgar com­ments in regards to impeaching trump. Wiki media commons

On Jan. 3 Rashida Tlaib, a Demo­c­ratic con­gress­woman from Michigan’s 13th con­gres­sional dis­trict, was sworn into the 116th session of U.S. Con­gress. The same day that Tlaib was sworn into office, she told a group of her sup­porters, regarding Pres­ident Donald Trump, “we’re gonna go in there and we’re gonna impeach the motherf*****.”

Tlaib’s com­ments sparked a national debate – a debate that hit close to home for many members of the Hillsdale com­munity.

A petition to have Tlaib removed from office has been cir­cu­lating on social media, including among the social plat­forms of Hillsdale res­i­dents who are upset about Tlaib’s comment.

The petition claims that Tlaib is unfit for Con­gress and calls for “her imme­diate removal from her seat.”

Hillsdale res­ident, Penny Swan, opposed Tlaib’s remarks.

“Saying those words is absolutely dis­re­spectful and dis­gusting, no matter what venue one is speaking in,” Swan said in a per­sonal message. “I’m embar­rassed by a Michigan politician dis­re­specting our pres­ident with such hor­rific words.”

For Swan, Tlaib’s remarks show a lack of respect for the office of the pres­ident.

“Trump is the com­mander in chief and demands a certain amount of respect,” Swan said. “He won that respect by winning the election.”
While the petition sur­passed its goal of 100,000 sig­na­tures, there has been no change in Tlaib’s position among the freshmen rep­re­sen­ta­tives in the House.
While some people call for Tlaib’s removal from office, Mayor Adam Stockford said that it’s up to her con­stituents to decide her ultimate fate.

“It isn’t for me to judge,” Stockford said in an email.
Stockford admits that much worse can be said, even claiming, “I’ve said worse.”
“The tragedy of it is that she’s getting national attention for saying some­thing that any fool can say,” Stockford said. “It’s going to make her a pow­erful rep­re­sen­tative because now she’s rec­og­nizable.”

Since Tlaib’s initial com­ments, many people have weighed in on the issue, including the pres­ident himself. In a Tweet, Trump asked how “you impeach a pres­ident who has won perhaps the greatest election of all time.” Trump did not identify the reason for his tweet, but it came the morning after Tlaib’s remarks.

Even some Democrats have come forward to condemn Tlaib’s statement. Rep. Jerry Nadler, a Democrat from New York and and the chairman of the House Judi­ciary Com­mittee, said it’s too early to intel­li­gently talk about a pos­sible impeachment.

“I don’t really like that kind of lan­guage, but more to the point, I dis­agree with what she said,” Nadler said on CNN.

On Jan. 15, a Jewish city com­mis­sioner from Florida’s Hal­landale Beach in Broward County, signed the petition on Facebook, but not without con­tro­versy. Along with the commissioner’s post where she claimed to have “proudly” signed the petition, she also added that Tlaib “is a danger” and that she “would not put it past her to become a martyr and blow up Capitol Hill.”

Tlaib responded on Twitter to the commissioner’s com­ments saying: “This sort of hateful anti-Muslim rhetoric doesn’t happen in a vacuum — this Pres­ident embraced it and Repub­licans have happily gone along with it.”
Kevin Portteus, pro­fessor of pol­itics at Hillsdale College, said he isn’t nec­es­sarily con­cerned with Tlaib’s com­ments, but rather the sub­stance that is buried beneath the shock factor.

“The idea that she should be silenced is ridiculous,” Portteus said in an email. “Let people see her for what she is, whatever that may be.”