Four Chargers traveled to compete in a swimming invi­ta­tional at Calvin College last weekend. (Katherine Heeres, Facebook)

The Hillsdale College Chargers will host Indiana Wes­leyan Uni­versity in a dual meet Friday, and Ashland Uni­versity and Saginaw Valley State Uni­versity in a tri-meet Sat­urday.

After bringing back a couple of wins and achieving lifetime best times from the Calvin Invite in December, the swimmers are proud to see their hard work pull through and are ready to compete again in the upcoming meets.

Sophomore Katherine Heeres said she is looking forward to racing again after having a month off.

“I’m excited to see how the team races after some hard training over the break,” Heeres said. “I think that we all just want to see where we’re at and hope to find some clarity in what events we should swim at G-MACs.”

Heeres said she and the Chargers who went to the Calvin Invite last December managed to clock a few season-best times, many of which were close to per­sonal best times. Heeres made a new record in the 100 back­stroke in 57.63. Beating her own school record, Heeres said she is excited to see how she and her team­mates can better these times at the G-MACs. She expects the team to swim well against the com­pe­tition this weekend.

“This season I’ve been focusing on my back­stroke starts and it was pretty exciting to see how that improvement helped me drop time,” Heeres said. “That being said, I am looking forward to seeing what everyone can do at our next dual meets and con­ference meet this semester.”

Junior Catherine Voisin said she is looking forward to com­peting against tough oppo­nents since they will chal­lenge the Chargers to compete to their full potential. At the Calvin Invite, Voisin placed first in the 200 but­terfly in 2:06.8, ninth in the 100 but­terfly in 57.62, and 20th in the 200 IM in 2:17.04. Voisin said she missed having the rest of her team there and is excited to compete with all of them in the upcoming meets.

“The biggest chal­lenge of the Calvin meet was the fact that we could only bring a small number of girls,” Voisin said. “Their support is very important to me and I always appre­ciate it.”

Looking ahead into future meets, head coach Kurt Kirner said the team is cur­rently building off the training they did in Key West from winter break. Kirner said it’s all about the dual meets for securing solid race plans and mechanics in preparing for the G-MAC Cham­pi­onship meet in four weeks.

“We need to get the swimmers who were injured back up to par and those who have been engaged all season to build their race mindset around what they need to perfect and what pieces still need to be put in place,” Kirner said. “Cham­pi­onships get lifetime best per­for­mances.”

Is the team going to try and make up the Depauw meet which was can­celled owing to the weather? Looks like both schools have an open weekend in early Feb­ruary, before the GMAC cham­pi­onships.