After more than five years working for Hillsdale College, Sophia Donohoe ’13 and her husband are moving to Columbus, Ohio. Megan Bowser| Courtesy

After five and a half years working for Hillsdale College, alumna and former Assistant Director of Career Ser­vices Sophia Donohoe ended her career at the college to begin a new chapter with her husband in Columbus, Ohio.  

Donohoe spent a total of 10 years with the college, first as a student and then as an employee. A member of the Pi Beta Phi sorority and a George Wash­ington Fellow, Donohoe kept busy as a student. She worked part-time in dining ser­vices, as well as in admis­sions and the President’s Offices. She also interned for former Cal­i­fornia State Sen. Tom McClintock between her junior and senior years.

Given her interest in pol­itics, Donohoe intended to work as a con­gres­sional staffer after college, but an admin­is­trative position in the George Wash­ington Fellow Program opened during her last semester.

“I loved Hillsdale College. It seemed like I couldn’t pass it up when a job offer came through,” she said.

Donohoe grad­uated in 2013 with majors in political economy and history, and she began working for the college within a week of grad­u­ating. She coor­di­nated the George Wash­ington Fel­lowship Program for one year before moving to Wash­ington, D.C. to run the Wash­ington Hillsdale Internship Program.

At the Kirby Center, she worked closely with Matthew Spalding, asso­ciate vice pres­ident and dean of edu­ca­tional pro­grams for the Allan P. Kirby Jr. Center for Con­sti­tu­tional Studies and Cit­i­zenship, to expand WHIP and make it more acces­sible to stu­dents outside the pol­itics major. Donohoe researched classes and intern­ships to add to the program’s offerings.

“It was exciting during that time,” she said. “The program has really been trans­formed. It has a lot more stu­dents now.”

Donohoe thor­oughly enjoyed living in the capital and working at the Kirby Center, but two years later, she returned to Michigan to marry her fiancé, whom she had met in Michigan prior to moving east. She took a job as assistant director of Career Ser­vices, living in Lansing with her husband and com­muting to Hillsdale.

Donohoe’s numerous and varied respon­si­bil­ities at Career Ser­vices included tracking data, advising stu­dents, planning events, and coor­di­nating pro­grams. She ran the First Des­ti­nation Survey, recording what each graduate decided to do after grad­u­ation, and spent 15 to 20 hours each week meeting one-on-one with stu­dents to address their pro­fes­sional con­cerns.

Donohoe was in charge of com­piling the Career Ser­vices events cal­endar and exe­cuting pro­grams such as the Senior Series and Living and Working Program (now called the Explore Program). She also revamped the Student Affairs Mentor training process and acted as a mentor for SAMs. She coun­seled stu­dents of all grade levels and needs, from freshmen trying to choose a major to seniors looking to secure a job.

“I really liked meeting with stu­dents. I was never sure what a student would want,” she said. “I always told stu­dents I would be their cheer­leader. Any­thing prac­tical they needed assis­tance with, I was there to help, to be their cheer­leader.”

Junior Caylee McComb got to know Donohoe as a SAM and worked with her to put on Career Ser­vices events for houses, dorms, clubs, and sports teams. She appre­ciated Donohoe’s spunk and insight.

“She was a great mentor and a really enjoyable person to work with,” McComb said. “She gave great advice but also had fun working and talking with the SAMs. She kept it light and made work fun.”

In December, Donohoe’s husband, a race car engineer, took a job in Columbus with a BMW racing team, and Donohoe resigned her Career Ser­vices duties mid-January to make the move to Ohio. In addition to the excitement of job and scenery changes, the Donohoes are expecting their first child, a boy due on Valentine’s Day.

“It’s a great oppor­tunity,” Donohoe said. “And Columbus is a great place to raise a family.”

Donohoe said she looks forward to exploring “The Arch City” and wel­coming her baby into the world, but she will miss the Hillsdale College com­munity immensely.

“The stu­dents, staff, and faculty are won­derful,” she said. “In Career Ser­vices, I had the oppor­tunity to work with them all.”

And Hillsdale College will miss Donohoe. Forward-thinking and cheerful, she enriched WHIP and Career Ser­vices, helping transform both into founts of oppor­tunity for stu­dents, according to.…

Ken Koopmans, exec­utive director of Career Ser­vices, noted that Donohoe was an invaluable asset to the college.

“Sophia truly loves Hillsdale stu­dents. She has a huge heart, always going out of her way to ensure that stu­dents are on the best path forward,” he said. “We’re already missing her strong work ethic and great sense of humor.”