Madeline Breay swims during the 1000 yard freestyle on January 19. (Christian Yiu | Col­legian)

The Hillsdale College Chargers defeated Olivet College and fell to Tiffin Uni­versity in a tri-meet on Friday.  Freshman Anna Clark dom­i­nated the meet and broke Olivet’s pool record in the 200 but­terfly, fin­ishing in 2 minutes and 13.24 seconds. Clark said she has been swimming with the stroke and dis­tance group, giving her more more oppor­tu­nities to practice the but­terfly.

“I’ve been able to practice pacing my 200 fly more often, which has given me more con­fi­dence and expe­rience to execute my race plan,” Clark said. “I didn’t put that much pressure on myself to break the record. I just wanted to swim the race how I plan to at the G-MACs.”

Assistant coach Zoe Tracey said Clark is one of the hardest workers on the team and that the achievement is a result of Clark’s hard work and tenacity.

“She always gives her best effort, even on the toughest of prac­tices,” Tracey said. “I’ve never heard her com­plain about any­thing. She takes on any chal­lenge with a smile.”

Senior Anika Ellingson was also rec­og­nized for a second time this season as G-MAC Player of the Week.

Sophomore Katherine Heeres fin­ished first in the 200 indi­vidual medley in 2:18.38, three seconds ahead of sophomore Mary Vita, who took second. Heeres said she attributes her success to her con­sistent IM training and her enjoyment of the race.

“The general strategy that I abide by is to simply focus on opti­mizing my best strokes — [but­terfly, back­stroke, and freestyle] — while min­i­mizing my weak stroke, which is [breast­stroke],” Heeres said.

Head coach Kurt Kirner said he’s training the swimmers to connect the type of training they do every day with the specifics nec­essary to succeed in their races.

“They need to take cal­cu­lated risks, even though their minds would rather stay in the safe zone,” Kirner said of his team’s strategies. “The only way for them to get better is to swim at the very extremes of their capa­bil­ities.”

At their final meet of the regular season on Sat­urday, the Chargers defeated Ohio Northern Uni­versity, but lost to Case Western Uni­versity.

Kirner said he held three goals for the swimmers at Saturday’s tri-meet. First, he wanted his swimmers to compete in the events they needed times in. Second, he wanted to beat Ohio Northern. Third, he wanted to match up good races for his best swimmers against Case Western and Ohio Northern.

Ellingson said the physical and mental demand of the meet threw the team off and they weren’t able to swim to their potential. Since training had been espe­cially rig­orous in recent weeks, Ellingson said it was a test of the mental stamina of the team.

“I think some­thing the team can focus on for the next few weeks is under­standing that our body was at its most tired training-wise this week,” Ellingson said. “But it primed us for taper.”

Despite the loss against Case Western, Kirner said the team learned a lot from defeating Ohio Northern and from their indi­vidual race wins.

“We learned that we need a resilient nature to fight through fatigue and adversity,” Kirner said. “We still have work to do with a few of our ath­letes and their ability to swim whatever is nec­essary for our team’s cause.”

With G-MACs coming up, junior Catherine Voisin said the coaches are focused on per­fecting all aspects of each swimmer’s races. Swimming fast in prac­tices and looking at the little details will carry into their meet per­for­mances at G-MACs.

“I think we’re in great shape after our hard work last semester,” Voisin said. “Right now, we’re starting to taper for our muscles to recover and to be strong enough for the G-MACs in two weeks.”

The G-MAC Cham­pi­onships begin on Feb. 13 in Canton, Ohio, and will last four days.