The Weekly: The best kind of rest is a reset

Home Opinion The Weekly: The best kind of rest is a reset
Rockefeller Center Christmas tree in New York City | Wikimedia

As finals loom, students may be looking forward to winter break as a chance to binge watch their favorite Netflix shows, sleep till noon every day, and take parents’ credit cards out for a swing. Rest is important, but it doesn’t mean “lazy” — and we shouldn’t lose sight of the chance the break gives us to be productive and to plan ahead.

Now is the time to plan for summer — a three-month stretch in which Hillsdale students like to keep busy and don’t leave much time to plan. Over summer break, the typical Hillsdale student will probably be spending his time interning on Capitol Hill, touring ruins with fellow collegiate scholars in Greece, or working 40 hours a week waitressing at a local restaurant. These activities, while nourishing to your spirit and good for your future, are not conducive to true rest.

And they aren’t possible without careful planning.

Rest isn’t doing nothing. It can be planning for tranquility and adventure later, when you are too busy to think straight. You’ll be more at ease if you do.

Freshmen, sophomores, and juniors, now is the time to apply for summer jobs and internships. Seniors — this is your chance to secure musings of a good job before your last semester of formal dances with friends, SAB events, and 20- page term papers.

Take advantage of the time you can spend with relatives and friends. Ask for advice about your future, and take their words to heart. Explore ideas while you have the time. Use your break wisely.

The opinion of The Collegian editorial staff