Christmas in the ‘Dale

Home Study Break Christmas in the ‘Dale
Christmas in the ‘Dale

Christmas decorations (Wikimedia Commons)

You’ve broken out your duck boots, started to feel the cracks form on your cold, chapped hands and may or may not have already slipped on some of the ice walking up the hill, but since it’s all before Dec. 25, it’s all in the spirit of Christmas. In order to keep the momentum going, here are a few Christmas events around Hillsdale.

Christmas at the Arboretum, Nov. 17 and Dec. 1 at 12 p.m.

Feeling the need to take family photos with your friends from the Dale? My View Photography by Jill Brown will be hosting 20 minute mini-sessions at the Hillsdale College Arboretum. For $30, you will receive eight photos and one printable holiday card placed on a CD with a print release.

Annual Christmas Open House, Dec. 1 and 2 from 2 to 5 p.m., Dec. 8 and 9 from 2 to 5 p.m.

Feel a little antsy? Want to share in a bit of old-timey yuletide? Held at the historic Grosvenor House Museum in Jonesville, the annual Christmas open house will have Christmas entertainment and refreshments as well as Christmas ornaments for sale. Admission is $5 per adult and $10 per family at the door.

Fifth Annual Christmas Market, Dec. 1 from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.

Perfect for the Hillsdale student looking to get a taste of the local community, the market will showcase a variety of vendors, local crafters and artisans. Located at the HUB Women’s Ministry on Howell Street, the market will happen a few hours before the city of Hillsdale light parade.

City of Hillsdale Light Parade, Dec. 1 from 6:15 to 7:15 p.m.

Who doesn’t love a light parade? Whether it’s date night or a night out with friends, the light parade will be sure to put everyone in the Christmas mood.

By Heaven’s Light Christmas Concert, Dec. 9 from 4 to 5:15 p.m.

Looking for a bit of choral music? Feeling the commercialism of Christmas weighing you down? By Heaven’s Light Christmas Concert, held at College Baptists, will surely send you back to a simpler time – admission is free and open to all. The Hillsdale First United Methodist Church Chancel Choir will be singing the cantata “By Heaven’s Light,” accompanied by the Hillsdale First UMC Handbell Choir.  The event will also have Scripture readings, reflections and the singing of Christmas carols with the audience.