Hillsdale women’s cross country team takes 19th at nationals on Sat­urday. (Ally Eads, Facebook)

The Hillsdale Chargers ran through herds of people, the rain and mud, and the many hills of Schenley Park at the NCAA Division II National Cross Country Cham­pi­onships on Sat­urday in Pitts­burgh, Penn­syl­vania.

This was Hillsdale’s sixth con­sec­utive appearance as a team in the national meet. After spending several weeks in the middle of the season unranked, they snuck into the top 25 in 18th after the Midwest Regional meet. The Chargers fin­ished their season ranked 19th in the nation.

“Overall it was a tough day,” assistant coach R.P. White said. “I think we set our expec­ta­tions a little higher than we fin­ished, but ever there we still gained some really good expe­rience.”

Junior Arena Lewis led the Chargers through the mud to earn her first All-American title. She fin­ished 37th out of 264 runners with a time of 23:26.6.

“I wanted to get top 25. I knew if I raced like I did at regionals, it would’ve been pos­sible,” Lewis said. “But then I got really nervous and tried to mimic the things I did before regionals but I got too caught up in that.  Coach and I talked about how intense nerves can really drain you.”

Sophomore Maryssa Depies fol­lowed Lewis to take 76th in 24:11.3.

“It was awful hon­estly. It was really hard,” Depies said. “The position you got out in was the position you were stayed in. You were really stuck in the mud. Expe­rience and training were kind of just out the window, but I felt better because I knew what to expect. You can only do so much in the moment. I just felt like I was giving it my all.” ”

The course was set up to force runners into packs early on in the race. About 400 meters into the race, runners were fun­neled into more narrow fencing, making it dif­ficult to pass anyone. Starting strong was crucial.

Senior Ally Eads crossed the finish line next in 25:01.8 for 151st place. She fin­ished right ahead of sophomore teammate Christina Sawyer, who fin­ished in 25:09.9 in 159th place.

“Each year it is always really rewarding to make it to the biggest meet of the year and go with my team­mates,” Eads said of her fourth and final national cross country race.

Sophomore Lauren Peterson com­peted on the national stage for the first time in her col­le­giate career. She fin­ished in 180th place with a time of 25:30.4.

Junior Kate Van­der­stelt fin­ished earned 199th in 25:43.5 and junior Addison Rauch took 222nd with a time of 26:11.3.  

White said he is glad for the expe­rience for his team.

“It’s good to be a sponge and absorb every­thing,” he said. “That’ll help us for track nationals or next year’s cross country nationals.”

Overall, the Chargers were grateful for the oppor­tunity to run.

“Even after the race people were in good moods,” Lewis said. “That’s just what like the most, when people aren’t grumpy after races.”

Well done, ladies. We have a very strong Women’s X-country program and the best thing is we only graduate 2 seniors this year, all 11 other runners are coming back next season as well as any HS recruits we bring aboard.