The Weekly: Choose your classes wisely

Home Opinion The Weekly: Choose your classes wisely
The Weekly: Choose your classes wisely

Be prudent when registering for spring semester.

After making it over the hill of midterms, it’s time to consider what courses to take for spring semester.

If you’re an underclassmen registering, it’s important to not get caught up in the exciting prospect of electives. Rather, take time to consider the effect of your choices on subsequent semesters as well.

Our advice to you is this: Prioritize the core before entertaining possible majors or exciting electives. Currently, Hillsdale College’s core curriculum demands roughly 50 credits.

You’ll feel much better taking a 300-level Medieval Philosophy course you’ve always wanted to take after you’ve already gotten a class like Logic and Rhetoric off your plate.

If you really want to add a three or four-credit elective, simply go talk to your potential professors about their workload. Most professors would be more than happy to explain the expectations of their class to you, so that you don’t overload your schedule. If the class seems like the workload may weigh you down, save it for a later semester or opt to audit the class.

Make use of your resources. Check out a book from the library about the discipline you’re curious about before spending a couple thousand dollars on a class that you may not like half-way through the semester. Be prudent when choosing classes. Your GPA, and your coffee budget, will thank you.