Sophomore Austin Mock is running for vice pres­ident of Student Fed­er­ation. Facebook

The Student Fed­er­ation is facing oppo­sition from the student body and some Student Fed officers for its recent amendment pro­posal.

The amendment pro­poses to alter qual­i­fi­ca­tions for Student Fed posi­tions by allowing sopho­mores to run for posi­tions that were pre­vi­ously only open to juniors, if the posi­tions are uncon­tested. Can­di­dates who have not served a com­plete semester can also be con­sidered as though they have, if they meet other qual­i­fi­ca­tions. This is to accom­modate members with irregular terms, such as Greek members or stu­dents on Wash­ington-Hillsdale Internship Program.

Junior Matthew Mont­gomery posted fliers around campus this week, urging the student body to vote against the amendment because “it com­pro­mises your student fees.” According to Mont­gomery, he is opposed to the amendment because he believes it will allow inex­pe­ri­enced stu­dents to serve in officer posi­tions.

Junior Matthew Mont­gomery is running for vice pres­ident of Student Fed­er­ation. Facebook

“The current amendment to the fed­er­ation con­sti­tution being voted on allows for someone to become trea­surer without ever having seen a fed­er­ation budget,” Mont­gomery said in an email. “The money that Student Fed­er­ation spends by giving it out to clubs and orga­ni­za­tions on campus comes directly from student fees and to let student fees be com­pro­mised by inex­pe­rience would be truly shameful… This amendment is simply not in the best interests of the student body.”

The fliers were removed soon after they appeared.

In a Facebook post, senior and fed­er­ation pres­ident Natalie Meckel addressed the “myths” sur­rounding the amendment, saying it would make “no dif­ference in expe­rience.”

“Right now, stu­dents can run with one semester of expe­rience,” Meckel said in a Facebook post. “The amendment would allow stu­dents who began serving at the beginning of this semester to run as well since they will have also served a com­plete semester by the time they take office.”

Meckel added that “expe­rience is by no means the sole deter­miner of a candidate’s com­pe­tence for an officer position.”

She said the amendment is nec­essary because it allows Student Fed­er­ation sopho­mores with expe­rience to run for pres­ident or trea­surer if either of those posi­tions are uncon­tested. These posi­tions were pre­vi­ously only open to juniors.

Sophomore Madeline Peltzer is running for vice pres­ident of Student Fed­er­ation. Facebook

It also allows rep­re­sen­ta­tives elected at the start of this semester to run for next year’s officer posi­tions, “since they will have a full semester of expe­rience by the time they take office,” according to Meckel. This will enable rep­re­sen­ta­tives taking offices in the fall semester to run, if “a very high standard of atten­dance is met.”

The fed­er­ation also nom­i­nated members for the posi­tions of pres­ident, vice pres­ident, sec­retary, and trea­surer on Nov. 8.

The posi­tions of pres­ident and sec­retary remained uncon­tested. Junior rep­re­sen­tative James Millius has been nom­i­nated for pres­ident, and sophomore rep­re­sen­tative Vic­toria Schmidt has been nom­i­nated for sec­retary. Three can­di­dates are running for vice pres­ident: junior rep­re­sen­tative Matthew Mont­gomery and sophomore rep­re­sen­ta­tives Madeline Peltzer and Austin Mock. The can­di­dates for trea­surer are junior rep­re­sen­ta­tives Alex Yun and Evan Welch.

Schmidt said she hopes the student body will take the voting seri­ously.

“I really hope that people keep in mind the interest of the school as a whole and how we all strive for the mission here at this school,” she said. “I think some­times we tend to think about just what affects us per­sonally, but think about the school as a whole and what reflects the mission of the school.”

Voting for the amendment and for the student rep­re­sen­ta­tives and officers will take place in the Grewcock Student Union until Friday from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m.