Sophomore Austin Mock is running for vice pres­ident of Student Fed­er­ation. Facebook

The Student Fed­er­ation is facing oppo­sition from the student body and some Student Fed officers for its recent amendment pro­posal.

The amendment pro­poses to alter qual­i­fi­ca­tions for Student Fed posi­tions by allowing sopho­mores to run for posi­tions that were pre­vi­ously only open to juniors, if the posi­tions are uncon­tested. Can­di­dates who have not served a com­plete semester can also be con­sidered as though they have, if they meet other qual­i­fi­ca­tions. This is to accom­modate members with irregular terms, such as Greek members or stu­dents on Wash­ington-Hillsdale Internship Program.

Junior Matthew Mont­gomery posted fliers around campus this week, urging the student body to vote against the amendment because “it com­pro­mises your student fees.” According to Mont­gomery, he is opposed to the amendment because he believes it will allow inex­pe­ri­enced stu­dents to serve in officer posi­tions.

Junior Matthew Mont­gomery is running for vice pres­ident of Student Fed­er­ation. Facebook

“The current amendment to the fed­er­ation con­sti­tution being voted on allows for someone to become trea­surer without ever having seen a fed­er­ation budget,” Mont­gomery said in an email. “The money that Student Fed­er­ation spends by giving it out to clubs and orga­ni­za­tions on campus comes directly from student fees and to let student fees be com­pro­mised by inex­pe­rience would be truly shameful… This amendment is simply not in the best interests of the student body.”

The fliers were removed soon after they appeared.

In a Facebook post, senior and fed­er­ation pres­ident Natalie Meckel addressed the “myths” sur­rounding the amendment, saying it would make “no dif­ference in expe­rience.”

“Right now, stu­dents can run with one semester of expe­rience,” Meckel said in a Facebook post. “The amendment would allow stu­dents who began serving at the beginning of this semester to run as well since they will have also served a com­plete semester by the time they take office.”

Meckel added that “expe­rience is by no means the sole deter­miner of a candidate’s com­pe­tence for an officer position.”

She said the amendment is nec­essary because it allows Student Fed­er­ation sopho­mores with expe­rience to run for pres­ident or trea­surer if either of those posi­tions are uncon­tested. These posi­tions were pre­vi­ously only open to juniors.

Sophomore Madeline Peltzer is running for vice pres­ident of Student Fed­er­ation. Facebook

It also allows rep­re­sen­ta­tives elected at the start of this semester to run for next year’s officer posi­tions, “since they will have a full semester of expe­rience by the time they take office,” according to Meckel. This will enable rep­re­sen­ta­tives taking offices in the fall semester to run, if “a very high standard of atten­dance is met.”

The fed­er­ation also nom­i­nated members for the posi­tions of pres­ident, vice pres­ident, sec­retary, and trea­surer on Nov. 8.

The posi­tions of pres­ident and sec­retary remained uncon­tested. Junior rep­re­sen­tative James Millius has been nom­i­nated for pres­ident, and sophomore rep­re­sen­tative Vic­toria Schmidt has been nom­i­nated for sec­retary. Three can­di­dates are running for vice pres­ident: junior rep­re­sen­tative Matthew Mont­gomery and sophomore rep­re­sen­ta­tives Madeline Peltzer and Austin Mock. The can­di­dates for trea­surer are junior rep­re­sen­ta­tives Alex Yun and Evan Welch.

Schmidt said she hopes the student body will take the voting seri­ously.

“I really hope that people keep in mind the interest of the school as a whole and how we all strive for the mission here at this school,” she said. “I think some­times we tend to think about just what affects us per­sonally, but think about the school as a whole and what reflects the mission of the school.”

Voting for the amendment and for the student rep­re­sen­ta­tives and officers will take place in the Grewcock Student Union until Friday from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m.

why were the flyers removed? this smacks of the fascism that I am worried about and hear about growing within hillsdale college.

• Kolbe Conger

As the elec­tions coor­di­nator for the student fed­er­ation, and the Vice Pres­ident, I can attest that some (but not all) of the fliers were removed due to being in vio­lation of the voting clause within the student fed­er­ation which pre­vents cam­paign posters within 100 feet diameter of the voting booths. As far of the others, I still see some up and for others being removed it has far less to do with “fascism” and with the fact that poster space on the com­munity bill­boards are a con­stant cycle of taking down and putting up of new posters. There’s limited space and due to this, various clubs will post over existing posters.

Fair enough. If you feel the rules are on the up and up, then that is what you have to do. The article makes it seem as though it were mali­cious — “The fliers were removed soon after they appeared.” this makes it seem as though there were some stu­dents who con­trived to remove them, or an admin­is­trative presence.

Thank you for responding. it seems that the stu­dents rarely interact on here, and then com­menters con­tin­ually push the gamut to see if the stu­dents actually feel the way that the news­paper presents them (which is kind of appalling, given the san­i­tized version of the news it seems the admin­is­tration allows them to print)