Student Fed­er­ation approved club status to three clubs and pro­posed an amendment to its con­sti­tution on Oct. 25. Photo from Aug. 30 3018. Alexis Daniels | Col­legian

The Student Fed­er­ation approved the estab­lishment of three new clubs and made an amendment to its con­sti­tution regarding election qual­i­fi­ca­tions at last week’s meeting.

Liberty Bat­talion, the Physical Therapy Club, and the Formal Logic Club were all given initial club status due to growing interest and faculty support. At the end of the meeting, Student Fed members voted on a pro­posed amendment to their con­sti­tution to clarify ambiguous phrasing, opening oppor­tu­nities for qual­ified sopho­mores to be elected for pres­ident or trea­surer, and accom­mo­dating for the mis­matched election seasons for rep­re­sen­ta­tives from fra­ter­nities.

“The main things this amendment does are that it makes officer races more com­pet­itive, it accom­mo­dates irregular terms on the Fed­er­ation, and it allows more stu­dents to become Fed­er­ation officers,” senior and Student Fed Sec­retary Thomas Ryskamp said in an email. “More com­pe­tition will ensure that the Fed­er­ation has com­petent officers, and stu­dents from all the Greek houses can become officers no matter how their terms line up.”

The section regarding Greek members on the original pro­posal sought to establish a proxy mea­surement for a com­plete semester, and the Fed­er­ation dis­cussed its con­se­quences at length. The Rules Com­mittee had pro­vided an alter­native pro­vision that pro­posed stu­dents cur­rently serving on the Fed­er­ation in the fall semester be allowed to run for an officer position in November.

Senior and Student Fed Vice Pres­ident Kolbe Conger moved to replace the rec­om­mended section with the alter­native, arguing that these rep­re­sen­ta­tives should have the oppor­tunity to become officers.

Ryskamp then moved to amend Conger’s amendment to include both mea­sure­ments, stating that “not including the four-months pro­vision creates a dif­ferent anomaly of the same kind.”

Ryskamp’s amendment to Conger’s amendment passed without dissent. Ryskamp argued against Conger’s amendment, which even­tually passed with a 10 – 5 vote.

They then dis­cussed the original amendment, now mod­ified by Conger’s and Ryskamp’s amend­ments. The change to their con­sti­tution was passed by an 8 – 6 vote.

Ryskamp explained that the change will allow for more com­pe­tition.

“There will probably be more stu­dents running for officer posi­tions and fewer uncon­tested races, so stu­dents will have more influence with their votes,” Ryskamp said. “It makes it easier for Greek stu­dents to become Fed­er­ation officers, even if their term as rep­re­sen­tative doesn’t com­pletely line up with that of the inde­pen­dents.”

Before the amendment can be finalized, it must be receive a vote from two-thirds of the student body and be approved by college Pres­ident Larry Arnn. The amendment will not take effect until next fall.

The first half of the meeting was ded­i­cated to granting club status.

Senior Adam Buchmann rep­re­sented Liberty Bat­talion. He said in an email that the club was formed to help provide resources to stu­dents pur­suing mil­itary careers after grad­u­ation.

“There was a lack of mil­itary edu­cation and instruction here at Hillsdale,” Buchmann said. “Liberty Bat­talion aims to fill that void of war-fighting instruction by edu­cating and famil­iar­izing the student body so that those Hillsdale College grad­uates, who hon­orably aspire to serve their country, will be better equipped to suc­cess­fully protect and defend the goodness, truth, and beauty that the United States and Hillsdale College embody.”

Senior Kyle Huitt, rep­re­senting the Formal Logic Club, said that the new club will stand to benefit stu­dents inter­ested in phi­losophy, math, and rhetoric and logic.

“We can’t really wait for future years for the department to create a course, so instead we decided to make our training in formal logic extracur­ricular,” Huitt said in an email. “All nerds in general are welcome to come and learn about the valuable ways in which formal logic can dis­ci­pline your mind to process things and argue clearly.”

who is the faculty advisor for liberty bat­talion? I would be inter­ested in vol­un­teering to help out with this group. Someone DM me and I will do what I can to get this started.