Pro­LifeLine airs on Radio Free Hillsdale 101.7 WRFH. (Facebook)

For senior Kathleen Russo, having a radio show was some­thing people only did in the movies. It wasn’t until she reached out to Scot Bertram, the general manager of Radio Free Hillsdale  (WRFH), that she realized she could do it, too.

“I emailed him about what it would take, and he just responded asking what I wanted the show to be about and when I could come in and start recording,” Russo said.

Russo, along with senior Roberta Briggs, co-hosts the WRFH show, Pro­LifeLine, edu­cating lis­teners about the pro-life movement through dis­cus­sions sur­rounding the science behind pro-life argu­ments and cul­ti­vating con­ver­sa­tions sur­rounding life issues.

Both Hillsdale College For Life board members, Russo, the club’s pres­ident, and Briggs, the club’s public rela­tions manager, use the radio show as an out­reach of the club’s pro­gramming.

Briggs said that the show is built around learning more about the pro-life argument and the science behind the movement.

“We dissect every­thing that the pro-life com­munity says rather than just blindly fol­lowing it,” she said.

The show began in the spring of 2017 with a five minute segment, and today, Pro­LifeLine airs on Wednesdays with a 20 minute segment at 7 a.m. and 3 p.m.

Prepping for the show begins with research about current abortion issues and debates. Russo said she googles abortion, and just lets ideas go from there. Sim­i­larly, Briggs said she finds articles dis­cussing topics that would fit well for their show and goes back to the sources on those articles for real data.

“We want to have our own com­mentary,” Briggs said.

The flex­i­bility of Pro­LifeLine has allowed Russo and Briggs to host several guests on their show, including Nathan and Eliz­abeth Schlueter, who dis­cussed Humanae Vitae, birth control, and Natural Family Planning. Other guests, such as members of the Hillsdale College Democrats, have held dis­cus­sions about pro-life argu­ments for birth control.

“I like having people that don’t nec­es­sarily believe the same things that we do,” Briggs said.

Dis­as­sem­bling the pro-life argument and edu­cating the audience is at the heart of Pro­LifeLine, Briggs said.

“We had to learn along the way,” she said.

Russo added that they seek to put the infor­mation into “bite-sized pieces” to keep people informed.

“We try to stay away from the emo­tional side of the argu­ments, and go back to the rational and sci­en­tific ones,” Briggs said.

In the most recent Pro­LifeLine recording, Briggs and Russo walk lis­teners through devel­opment at each week of preg­nancy.

“It’s an in-depth look of how the fetus is devel­oping,” Briggs said.

Pro­LifeLine is looking for people inter­ested in con­tinuing the show after Briggs and Russo graduate in the spring.

Previous articleSome tips for jobs and internships
Next articleThe importance of the U.S.’s nuclear strategy
Josephine von Dohlen
Josephine von Dohlen is a senior from Minneapolis, Minnesota who appreciates the communicative power of journalism and the community that it fosters. A graduate of the National Journalism Center in Washington, D.C., she has previously interned with Catholic News Service and the Santa Barbara News-Press. At Hillsdale, she is a member of the Dow Journalism Program and majors in American Studies. Email: jvondohlen@hillsdale.edu