Poor road con­di­tions in Hillsdale. Katherine Scheu | Col­legian

Ravaged by pot­holes, cracks, and bumps, streets in Hillsdale are noto­rious for being in a con­stant state of dis­repair.

The Hillsdale City Council has dis­cussed many times whether and when the roads would be repaired and repaved.

Jake Hammel, director of the Hillsdale Department of Public Ser­vices, said at the Oct. 15 council meeting that he was hopeful for the com­pletion of the project before mid-November.

“Our backs are against the wall with mother nature,” Hammel said at the meeting. “We need ground tem­per­a­tures of 50 degrees and rising to be able to pave and it is looking good until then.”

A month later, during the Nov. 19 council meeting, the topic of the roads — unfin­ished by the target date of Nov. 15 — returned to the dis­cussion.

“I under­stand everyone’s frus­tration,” Hammel said at the Nov. 19 meeting. “I drive these roads every day and I know it’s not cutting it for us. We will con­tinue to work daily to be as ready as pos­sible for spring. We are antic­i­pating asphalt by the beginning of May.”

Coun­cilman Will Mor­risey of Ward 2 blamed the delays, in part, on the city taking on more respon­si­bility than they could handle.

“If we ever have the chance to do two projects again,” Mor­rissey said. “It would be good if we could structure the grants in such a way so that we can have two seperate con­tractors working simul­ta­ne­ously. People would see progress every week and it would be much more sat­is­fying to everyone.”

Ward 3 Coun­cilman Bruce Sharp rec­om­mended that the DPS send letters to res­i­dents on Rippon Street and other affected areas out­lining when the roads would be done rather than making them wait and watch.

“I’m about to face my seventh water-boil warning and I don’t even live on that street,” Sharp said. “The people are frus­trated. There are people who can’t even get into their dri­veways. They deserve an apology.”