The Hillsdale County Com­munity Foun­dation pre­sented the college’s GOAL pro­grams with $15,000 in grants. Facebook

The Hillsdale County Com­munity Foun­dation recently granted $15,000 to the GOAL pro­grams, with grants ranging from $250 to $1,000.

Pres­ident and CEO of HCCF Sharon Bisher said HCCF’s tra­di­tional funding cycle doesn’t match well with the school year and pro­gression of GOAL pro­grams, prompting to HCCF to design and offer grants specif­i­cally designed for GOAL pro­grams. This is the first time the HCCF has ded­i­cated a program to helping GOAL leaders learn about and apply for their grants.

“We did that because we rec­ognize the stu­dents are making a huge impact in our com­munity,” Bisher said.

Bisher pre­sented a workshop to teach stu­dents how to apply to grant pro­grams. The GOAL leaders then had two weeks to apply to an HCCF grant. HCCF awarded grants to 19 dif­ferent pro­grams, including A Few Good Men, Gier Reading and Journal Buddies, and Com­munity Action Agency Preschool. Hannah Moeggenberg, who runs CAA Preschool, said she received a $700 grant, which she plans to use to pur­chase snow boots for stu­dents and gift cards for “vol­unteer of the week.”

“The HCCF made grant writing very simple,” Moeggenberg said in an email. “The writing process itself was easier than I had expected once I knew exactly what it was that I was asking for. The two most important parts, in my opinion, were con­veying my plea with passion, and making sure that all of the numbers were exact and rea­sonable.”

HCCF also granted a $3,000 schol­arship to the lead­ership of GOAL, who will be hosting a campus-wide vol­unteer event next semester.

“It’s really cool they reached out to the college about this extra money,” said GOAL Director and senior Lucile Townley. “[Sharon] knows a lot about the needs of the com­munity and the com­munity itself.”

Although this was the first time HCCF hosted a program like this for GOAL, Bisher said the foun­dation wants to make it an annual process.

“We have a strong com­mitment to youth lead­ership,” she said. “We wanted to encourage a love of phil­an­thropy.”