GOAL program to hire three new volunteer leaders for next semester

Home News Homepage - News GOAL program to hire three new volunteer leaders for next semester
Senior Rosemary Pynes plays sports with children in the community as part of Hillsdale’s GOAL program. Facebook

The Hillsdale College GOAL Program is in the process of hiring new program leaders for Adopt-a-Grandparent, Community Sports Outreach, and Private and Charter School Tutoring.

GOAL Director Lucille Townley said applications for the positions have already closed, and the interview process has begun.

According to GOAL Adviser and Director of Student Activities Ashlyn Landherr, there are two applicants for the Adopt-a-Grandparent Program, five applicants for Community Sports Outreach, and six applicants for Private and Charter School tutoring.

“Being a volunteer takes one sort of skill set and interest, but being a leader is a little bit different,” Landherr said. “We look for if the applicants are going to just maintain a program or if they’re going to take initiative and invest in it to grow and make it bigger.”

Townley said a panel committee of students and faculty are currently conducting interviews. This panel includes herself, Landherr, GOAL Coordinator Michaela Peine, Associate Dean of Men Jeffery Rogers, Associate Dean of Women Rebekah Dell, and Director of Financial Aid Richard Moeggenberg.

“The hiring committee looks for applicants in good academic standing, with a strong commitment to community service and previous leadership experience,” Townley said. “No previous GOAL volunteering experience is necessary, however, it is definitely a strong addition to an application.”

According to Townley, the new leaders for Private and Charter School Tutoring and Adopt-a-Grandparent will take over at the beginning of the spring semester. She said the new leader for Community Sports Outreach will train with Caroline Andrews, the current leader, through the spring semester and take over at the beginning of the fall 2019 semester.

Andrews said she became interested in volunteering with a youth sports program because she grew up playing many sports, such as junior PGA golf, recreational basketball, and pickup hockey with her brothers.

“I am deeply convinced that athletics are critical for the development of kids,” she said. “Many of the most fundamental and important life lessons of my childhood came through experiences I had both on and off the course, court, and rink.”

Andrews became involved with this program her freshman year through coaching basketball at Davis Middle School.

“It was by far the highlight of my entire year, and this is now my fourth year coaching a team of girls,” Andrews said. “Volunteering and starting to spend time with the kids inspired me to apply for leadership of the program, as I wanted to continue to pour love into them in an even bigger way.”

Senior Haley Hauprich, the current leader of Private and Charter School Tutoring, said she initially took this position because she hopes to be a teacher.

“I thought this program would give me great experience for teaching,” Hauprich said. “I had also volunteered with it before and loved getting to help out some kids that really needed and appreciated what we do.”

Hauprich said she encourages students to volunteer in any of the GOAL programs.

“You’re never too busy to volunteer,” Hauprich said. “Any amount of time you can give will be valuable for whoever you help, and also for you, too.”

Senior Rachel Lozowski, current leader of the Adopt-a-Grandparent Program, said she has been volunteering at the Hillsdale Medical Care Facility since her freshman year.

“I have really enjoyed visiting the residents and getting to know all of them, and many of them really have become like my grandparents,” Lozowski said. “I always love to see the joy on their faces when I walk into their room to give them a visit or smile and give them a greeting.”

Both Townley and Landherr said the interviewing process is always a great opportunity for students to become leaders.

“The process of hiring new GOAL leaders is always an uplifting experience as we get to talk to students about their passion for serving the community,” Townley said.