The Hillsdale College Debate Team took second place at their third Lincoln-Douglas debate tour­nament last weekend. Facebook

The Hillsdale College Debate Team traveled to McK­endree Uni­versity, outside of St. Louis, Mis­souri, this past weekend for their third Lincoln-Douglas debate tour­nament of the season. The team took second place overall fin­ishing behind Western Ken­tucky Uni­versity.

Western Ken­tucky Uni­versity is a pow­er­house in t

he National Forensics Asso­ci­ation, according to junior and Debate Team Captain Hannah Johnson.

“This is what they do,” Johnson said of WKU. “It’s very hard to get on their team. When they show up, you know you’re going down. They’re a good com­petitor.”

Two junior varsity division debaters broke into the open rounds. Sophomore Katrina Torsoe won the junior varsity division in a 2 – 1 decision.

“The final was inter­esting,” Torsoe said. “It was just the best debater I had hit up until that point. It was a really good round. We had pro­ductive clash. We were actually going back and forth on the actual issues which I love.”

Torsoe also took first place in speaker points while freshman Frank Vitale took second in the second debate tour­nament of his col­le­giate career.

“I did much better than I was expecting to do,” Vitale said. “When I was in the advanced cat­egory in the first tour­nament, I only won two out of six rounds. This one I did much better.”

The other seven debaters com­peted in the open division at the tour­nament. None of them broke out of the pre­lim­inary rounds. Tour­nament atten­dance is deter­mined by student avail­ability and who still needs to qualify for Nationals. So far three stu­dents have qual­ified in the open division: Johnson, and sopho­mores Erin Reichard and Jadon Buzzard. Some team members will travel to Bowling Green Uni­versity in Ken­tucky this coming weekend for the first par­lia­mentary debate tour­nament of the season.

Nice work.

Well done.

Isn’t Bowling Green Uni­versity in Ohio? Or is there another one?