“‘An American Tail’ suc­ceeds because Bluth’s ani­mation fit Spielberg’s desire for the simul­ta­neous horror and humor unique to Jewish story-telling.” | Courtesy Wikipedia.org

When Steven Spielberg saw “The Secret of NIMH” (1982), Don Bluth’s ani­mated film about tena­cious field mice caught in a mental ward, the director loved it so much that he asked Bluth to do it again — only this time starring Jewish émigré mice.

Bluth jumped aboard imme­di­ately and, with Spielberg’s col­lab­o­ration, he spun “An American Tail” (1986), the story of Fievel Mousekewitz, a young Ashkenazi mouse fleeing with his family from north­eastern Ukraine to New York City in the 1880s. Fievel runs into a car­nival of adven­tures along the way: a sweatshop in the Flatiron dis­trict, Tammany Hall politi­cians, and a host of Know-Nothing cats attempting to purge Man­hattan of all immi­grants.

The film was a runaway success and became the highest grossing non-Disney ani­mated film at the time of its release. Its pop­u­larity spawned a the­atrical sequel, “An American Tail: Fievel Goes West,” (a lesser film in every respect save one: It con­tains Jimmy Stewart’s final per­for­mance before his death). A horde of direct-to-DVD sequels fol­lowed, as well as a TV show and, even­tually, a PlayStation 2 game.

Fievel’s success led Spielberg to create Ambli­mation, a pro­duction company designed to rival Disney’s dom­i­nance over ani­mation. The effort did not last long. After “An American Tail,” Ambli­mation only pro­duced two more movies, “We’re Back! A Dinosaur’s Story” (1993) and “Balto” (1995), both of which under­per­formed at the box office. The release of Pixar’s “Toy Story” in the same month as “Balto” was espe­cially dis­as­trous — and spelled out doom for Ambli­mation.

But Spielberg and Bluth’s ambition in “An American Tail” still shines through the former studio’s wreckage. It’s the only children’s movie I know of that gets away with a violent pogrom in the opening scene. And it’s one of the few films where the violent con­clusion — a feline slaugh­terfest at the hands of “The Giant Mouse of Minsk,” a steampunk golem — is fun for the whole family.

“An American Tail” suc­ceeds because Bluth’s ani­mation fit Spielberg’s desire for the simul­ta­neous horror and humor unique to Jewish sto­ry­telling. And for Spielberg, the film was a per­sonal statement, too: Fievel takes his name from Spielberg’s own émigré grand­father.

It’s no wonder Spielberg later picked Fievel as the logo for Ambli­mation. The company may have col­lapsed, but the ragged Jewish mouse still stands in proud oppo­sition to Disney’s squeaky clean Mickey.

a tail that still speaks to our modern times, if you can pardon my similar pun. The bad cat fighting the immi­gration of those viewed as “mice”. It’s almost as if there is a whole caravan of them heading toward our border!! But this is the world that Dr. Arnn was hoping for when he pub­licly threw his (and the college’s, to most alumni dismay) weight behind Trump.

Oh my goodness, the cam­paign is OVER Jen­nifer. Time to laugh again!

Do you really believe ‘most alumni’ would prefer that Dr. Arnn sup­ported Hillary Clinton in the 2016 election?????????????.……????

Wanna bet?

No they wouldn’t have wanted him to support Hillary clinton. Would +90% have wanted him to do the job of a college pres­ident and not pub­licly support anyone, or at least just support a limited agenda (not name ny any can­di­dates)???? That’s a bet I would take.

As Dr. Arnn noted, Donald Trump was not his first choice but Winston Churchill was not on the ballot. That’s the same dilemna that con­fronts all of us at election time.

Did Nebraska win today?

They did. Pounded illinois. Big game next week against MSU. Dr. Arnn did say that, he also extended way more support for trump than any other pre­vious can­didate in a pres­i­dential election. Since he was in the running to be a cabinet member, I think he did some things he oth­erwise wouldn’t have. Kind of shameful from someone who spends 99% of his time in front of students/parents talking about “the higher things”.

Political pas­sions are high at this point in our nation’s history and I rec­ognize that some people absolutely hate Donald Trump. They will never like him no matter what he does or what success he has, it’s vis­ceral with them. I under­stand that.

Perhaps Pres­ident Arnn should have been more vague in his per­sonal pref­er­ences with that in mind? It might have been the better way to answer the question.